Lets see your orchids!

Reaction score
I absolutely love orchids but only have two. I want more and will get more, but they can be a tad expensive. I want to have at least 10 orchids, several different types, and I will in the next couple of months. Right now, this is what I have, two Phalaenopsis orchids that sit very close to my front door. They do fairly well in that spot. Has anyone grown orchids in water?

Orchid-5.jpg

Reaction score
This is not my orchid but I added this to my blog about two months ago, this is a gorgeous, rather exotic looking orchid..

ceiling-orchid.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I wish I could share an image here, but I have never been successful with orchids. They live for a short time and then die off. Orchids are so beautiful, I guess they just aren't my forte.

Reaction score
I wish I could share an image here, but I have never been successful with orchids. They live for a short time and then die off. Orchids are so beautiful, I guess they just aren't my forte.

I thought that way too Chanell but if you find a spot inside that gets partial or filtered sun light, your orchid will do OK. Let the soil dry totally, then water it thoroughly, usually about once every 2 weeks, but you can mist it every day.

The key to Orchids, and really most houseplants is, once you find a good spot for them, leave the plant in that spot ... I'm sure you already know that .. the video offers some really good tips ..

Reaction score
@ Chanell G, I have always thought orchids were too fussy and too much trouble. But over the years I have come to realize that they really don't need so much attention or care. They are pretty easy , just a weak water soluble fertilizer once a week and misting twice daily keep orchids happy.
I have these flowers constantly blooming here and I usually get three or four sets of bloom from a single stalk.
purple+orchid.jpg

orchidbuds.JPG

Those are some of mine... I wish we had an option to post pictures from our computers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@ Chanell G, I have always thought orchids were too fussy and too much trouble. But over the years I have come to realize that they really don't need so much attention or care. They are pretty easy , just a weak water soluble fertilizer once a week and misting twice daily keep orchids happy.
I have these flowers constantly blooming here and I usually get three or four sets of bloom from a single stalk.

... I wish we had an option to post pictures from our computers.

Thanks Maddie! I love them so I'll definitely give it another try at some point.

BTW, you can view the pix on your computer and then copy and paste here.

I thought that way too Chanell but if you find a spot inside that gets partial or filtered sun light, your orchid will do OK. Let the soil dry totally, then water it thoroughly, usually about once every 2 weeks, but you can mist it every day.

The key to Orchids, and really most houseplants is, once you find a good spot for them, leave the plant in that spot ... I'm sure you already know that .. the video offers some really good tips ..

Thanks, Task! I guess the key is finding a good spot. I read some place that you should give them distilled water. I'm about to start making compost tea, maybe that will help next time around. I think the biggest problem for me was getting the watering right. Are there any varieties that are easier to manage than others?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Taskeinc, your orchids are so beautiful, they look so exotic and interesting!:D I especially like the yellow one, it's subtle and it brightens the space. Now I'm tempted to try to grow one too - although I've always thought that orchids are not my flowers. I'm more of a 'roses' person:)

Reaction score
I have never tried orchids, but they have been on my 'wanted' list for a long time. Whenever I spot them at the nursery I am tempted, but then stop myself because they are quite expensive and I hate to think of killing such a beautiful thing. I think you guys have convinced me to splurge and give it a go after all.

Reaction score
Orchids are underrated for their durability. Most orchids grow in tropical climates, outdoors, on trees. The roots of an orchid can wrap around a tree, tree bark, and can grow exquisitely. If you're not in an area where the weather is mild, in the winter months, you can move the orchid to a portable green house or move it indoors. In my only 2-3 years experience with the gorgeous flowers I've come to understand, they are much more durable than they look.

DE22PERISCOPEORCHI_1151384g.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Orchids are underrated for their durability. Most orchids grow in tropical climates, outdoors, on trees. The roots of an orchid can wrap around a tree, tree bark, and can grow exquisitely. If you're not in an area where the weather is mild, in the winter months, you can move the orchid to a portable green house or move it indoors. In my only 2-3 years experience with the gorgeous flowers I've come to understand, they are much more durable than they look.

DE22PERISCOPEORCHI_1151384g.jpg

Wow! This picture looks amazing!:D I wonder how it happened that this orchid started growing on a tree:confused:

Reaction score
Wow! This picture looks amazing!:D I wonder how it happened that this orchid started growing on a tree:confused:

Orchids do not require soil in order to grow and bloom. If you reside in an area that does not have freezing temperatures, you can grow orchids on trees. If your winters are colder, you can hang orchids from trees in hanging baskets during the warmer months and then move them indoors in fall.

Look at how gorgeous these orchids are, and how incredible the roots are..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
So somebody planted this orchid on the tree? This looks phenomenal! I had no idea that orchids are so amazing - and so strong. The video is also very interesting too, thank you for sharing. I've never seen a small plant with such enormous rots before.

Reaction score
What I find incredible about the roots of most Orchids is that they seem to have a life of their own. I can't wait until I build up my supply of lovely orchids. I plan on having them all over the house since they do not need direct sun to thrive. I love watching that video because it's like all the Orchids he's watering and fertilizing, you know they like it. He has a fantastic set up, but I suppose he would if he's selling them.

Reaction score
For those of you who saw the movie, Shawshank Redemption, the soundtrack, if you like classical music, was fantastic. When Andy Dufresne, locked himself in the room (and he locked the prison guard in the bathroom) in order to play the music he'd just received as a gift for the prison library, he was playing Mozart..

When Brooks, a lifelong inmate, after being released from prison (I won't mention what happened because it would be a spoiler for those who have not seen the movie), this is the song that was playing .. and the video is a time lapsed image of a blooming Dendrobium Orchid .. very peaceful, very beautiful ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is wonderful! I haven't seen this movie yet. This blooming orchid is so lovely. Oh, I really, really like orchids. I always think they're so delicate, elegant and unique flowers.

orchids_Dtps.+Jiaho+Kitty+Face+009.JPG

Ask a Question