LeNotre Stabilise mixture

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nobody will know the answer to this but:

Andre LeNotre, garden architect to Louis XIV, along with many aristocrats in seventeenth century France, developed a paving mixture called Stabilise. Stabilise is a pea gravel, sand and whitewash mixture that yields that great paving that is in the formal garden walkways at Versailles and throughout all of France.

The question is: what are the proper proportions of pea gravel, sand and whitewash that need to be combined to create the exact same spec as Versailles? Should the pea gravel be whitewashed first or does whitewash just get mixed into the whole pea gravel and sand mixture? Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not know any exact formula for Stabilise, though I expect a workable recipe could be concocted with a little trial and error.
Doing a search online shows only the same few pieces of information circling around in a spiraling echo chamber.

However, this does inspire me to give an endorsement for decomposed granite. It is amazing stuff. I have paths of DG that have lasted decades, without a binder or any other ingredient, just angular pebbles of granite interlocking into a most durable substrate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbissoon29

Latest Threads