Lemon tree sick - What to do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dear All,

I have asked this question in another forum, but submitting to this forum, too, to get any suggestions to save a lemon tree. I have a lemon tree outside my house, which seems to be sick. I need your help to save this tree if possible.

Here is a back-story regarding the tree: We live in Jupiter, FL, and bought a house 3-4 years ago. The lemon tree was there when we bought it, but I really did not have time to take care of anything regarding the gardening stuff as the HOA was doing all the trimming, etc. Last year or so, one of the neighbor said that the tree was giving lemons in the past, but not anymore. The tree looked sick at that time, too, but again I did not have time. 3 years ago, the palm tree 5-6 meters away from the lemon tree was struck by a lightening and I thought that might have been the reason. For the last one month, however, I am trying to understand what is going on with the tree, and if possible save it (not for the fruits but it seems that it tries to stay alive). I took several photos and uploaded them here so that anyone having some suggestions/ideas can help me save this poor tree.

Now regarding the tree and what I have done so far: I bought Citrus and Avocado Plant Food from Home Depot and applied it to the tree twice within the last month. Also, I bought Neem oil and applied it once last week. Finally, this weekend, I pressure washed all the stem and tree branches of the lemon tree, which you can see in the pictures. The fungus and any moss I could see got removed, thought there are still some deep spots resembling fungus on some of the branches (see pictures). Before pressure washing the tree, I pruned the tree, and removed all the dry branches. Then, I applied Citrus Plant Nutritional Spray I bought from Home Depot.

Initial observation: There are 3 lemons on the tree, as well as 4-5 small ones, which I think will fully grow if I can handle the tree properly. Also, there are probably 5-10 sprouts I could see on some of the branches. Furthermore, even though most of the leaves seem to be sick, the new ones are coming out normal. Finally, some of the branches seems to be damages badly (see Image # 1, 2, 7, 8, 17), which I thought is due to the lightning striking the palm tree 5-6 meters away from this lemon tree (I might be highly wrong!).

Any ideas and/or suggestions? I am planning on applying copper sulfate fungicide, but learned that I have to apply it in October. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best regards,

Ilyas

Attachments

• IMG_5851.jpg
    IMG_5851.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5852.jpg
    IMG_5852.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5853.jpg
    IMG_5853.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5854.jpg
    IMG_5854.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5855.jpg
    IMG_5855.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5856.jpg
    IMG_5856.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5857.jpg
    IMG_5857.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5858.jpg
    IMG_5858.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5859.jpg
    IMG_5859.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5860.jpg
    IMG_5860.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5861.jpg
    IMG_5861.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5862.jpg
    IMG_5862.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5863.jpg
    IMG_5863.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5865.jpg
    IMG_5865.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5866.jpg
    IMG_5866.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5867.jpg
    IMG_5867.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What has happened to your tree is basically just a lack of care. The moss and lichens on the trunk and limbs are not harmful to the tree. I see no insect damage but what I do see is a lack of fertilization during the past. Mainly what I see is a lack of micro-nutrients. I presume that the fertilizer you bought is the Pennington brand 10-5-5. It says on the bag that it has micro-nutrients added but the amount added is enough to maintain a healthy tree, not to bring back a tree to health. I see many younger leaves yellowing with green veins, a sure sign of a micro-nutrient deficiency, mainly iron. What I would do is go ahead and feed with what you have AND I would also treat the tree with a liquid Chelated Iron. Both Southern Ag and Ferti-loam make a good product. Do not use Ironite. For added benefit I would also get some SuperThrive and use it as directed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dear Chuck,

Thanks for your reply. I will get the liquid Chelated Iron this weekend. I have taken several other pictures of the tree displaying some issues with the leaves. Some of them are pretty damaged, which I am not sure if it is due to bugs or something else. The new sprouts, however, looks fine. I applied Neem oil once last month but can re-apply again. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Attachments

• IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5913.jpg
    IMG_5913.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5912.jpg
    IMG_5912.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5911.jpg
    IMG_5911.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dear Chuck,

Thanks for your reply. I will get the liquid Chelated Iron this weekend. I have taken several other pictures of the tree displaying some issues with the leaves. Some of them are pretty damaged, which I am not sure if it is due to bugs or something else. The new sprouts, however, looks fine. I applied Neem oil once last month but can re-apply again. Thanks again.

Best regards,
What I THINK is causing the damage are caterpillars, most likely the Orange Dog Caterpillar which turns into a Giant Swallow Tail Butterfly. They are very difficult to see and they look like bird droppings. There are two organic things you can use for caterpillars. One is a Bt product (Bacillus thuringensis). It is sold under different names. The other is a Spinosad based product, also sold under different names. In your case I would use the spinosad product because it also kill many other insects including caterpillars whereas Bt only kills caterpillars. Keep a close watch on the new growth. Your tree is in a weakened condition and the new growth is what will be the most important if attacked. It will take approximately a month for your tree to regain its health.
Neem Oil is an excellent product for which it is used but it has a very limited shelf life and doesn't do much against caterpillars. I believe it is a better fungicide than insecticide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dear Chuck,

Thanks again for the feedback. As you suggested, I applied Southern Ag Chelated Citrus Nutritional Spray on the tree, which seems to have bloomed the tree. Today I applied Sevin Insect Killer Concentrate. I saw a lot of caterpillar on the tree, as well as very small bugs flying around the new sprout, which was the reason for the Insect Killer. I am attaching 5 pictures I took today. I have been applying Vigoro Citrus and Avocado Fertilizer once a month to make it have enough nutrition. I see quite some bloom on the tree branches, and some of the new sprouts seems to have flower on them.

Best regards,

I

Attachments

• IMG_5960.jpg
    IMG_5960.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5961.jpg
    IMG_5961.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5962.jpg
    IMG_5962.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5963.jpg
    IMG_5963.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5964.jpg
    IMG_5964.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dear Chuck,

Thanks again for the feedback. As you suggested, I applied Southern Ag Chelated Citrus Nutritional Spray on the tree, which seems to have bloomed the tree. Today I applied Sevin Insect Killer Concentrate. I saw a lot of caterpillar on the tree, as well as very small bugs flying around the new sprout, which was the reason for the Insect Killer. I am attaching 5 pictures I took today. I have been applying Vigoro Citrus and Avocado Fertilizer once a month to make it have enough nutrition. I see quite some bloom on the tree branches, and some of the new sprouts seems to have flower on them.

Best regards,

I
The new growth certainly looks better. If you see the leaves start to yellow but the veins stay green you still have a nutritional issue. Probably either iron or magnesium in which case make a soil drench out of the chelated iron and pour out to the drip line, then water it in.

Ask a Question