Lemon Tree not producing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hi there,
I have a lovely smallish Meyer lemon tree that is not producing. The tree itself is beautifully green and healthy, but once the blossoms fall off, the tiny lemons turn yellow in a hurry, and fall off. What am I missing or not doing?
Thanks in advance for your help.
janice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi there,
I have a lovely smallish Meyer lemon tree that is not producing. The tree itself is beautifully green and healthy, but once the blossoms fall off, the tiny lemons turn yellow in a hurry, and fall off. What am I missing or not doing?
Thanks in advance for your help.
janice
The blooms are not being pollinated. Also a young tree will self abort just about all of it's fruit. If the tree is inside move it outside. If outside just be patient. I am sure there are some pollinators around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yes, my tree is outside, and it did produce some lemons last year. (Not many, though.) Guess I just have to hope for bees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I attract bees by allowing what many call "weeds" grow in my yard. Tons of bees every year, not just the invasive honeybee, but also numerous natives. Create habitat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
What sort of weeds do you mean? I have plenty of weeds everywhere, but maybe they aren't the right kind. I do have lots of nasturtiums every year; I know that they attract bees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just a few that are all over the place here in my area, many of which are referred to as "noxious" by the USDA.

spiderwort
Tradescantia

black medic
Medicago lupulina

black nightshade
Solanum nigrum

Carolina geranium
Geranium carolinianum

chickweed
Stellaria media

evening primrose
Oenothera biennis

Florida pusley
Richardia scabra

fleabane
Erigeron annuus

pokeweed
Phytolacca americana

purslane
Portulaca oleracea

sow thistle
Sonchus oleraceus

woodsorrel
Oxalis

spanish nettle
Bidens alba

Floridia Betony
Stachys floridana

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I never introduced one of the plants above (post #6); I just created habitat (mulched area and didn't mow) and over time they just moved in. There are other species of plants, but I probably already mentioned too many.

Some plants (AKA: weeds) with the pollinators. Everyday I see tons of both native pollinators and the honeybees, as well as many butterflies...
018.JPG
006.JPG
053.JPG
007.JPG
002.JPG

Ask a Question