Lemon tree leaves yellowing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a problem starting with a lemon tree it' looks mostly fine but some leaves have yellow spots appearing . It's growing in citrus soil and has been there for 2 months I have added compost and some perlite

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_114157.jpg
    IMG_20211204_114157.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20211204_114323.jpg
    IMG_20211204_114323.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20211204_114148.jpg
    IMG_20211204_114148.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Country
United States
For now, your lemon (Citrus x limon) loks healthy, only a couple older leaves are yellowing and preparing to drop. This might simply be do to the season and the leaves being shade out by younger foliage.

However, do observe your plant often. A citrus in a small container is always a balncing act when ti comes to irrigation. Drainage should be sharp and the soil should partly dry before irrigating again. Still, you do not want to stress the plant by letting the soil get too dry. The plant should be full sun or as close to that as you can manage. Do fertilize during the growing season with a complete fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok thank you. I am giving it 8hrs of full sun because of the way my property is there is just no place that isnt shaded part of the day hopefully that enough

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After having looked closely at your lemon tree's leaves it is NOT just older leaves starting to drop. The yellow leaves appearing now is just the beginning. MOST if not all of your trees leaves are in the beginning stages of yellowing and this is because the tree is lacking in nutrients, mainly nitrogen. Looking closely at picture #3 you can faintly see mottling or faint yellowish blotches on most of the leaves which is a classic early sign of a nitrogen deficiency in citrus. Luckily it is in the early stage of leaf drop/yellowing and can be easily fixed with fertilization, preferably a good organic fertilizer such as Medina, Fox Farm, Espoma etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've tried adding nitrogen high nitrogen fertilizer and small amounts of magnesium and stiill is worsening

Reaction score
Country
United States
The asymmetric green mottling on those yellow leaves does not suggest a nutrient deficiency.
If the condition is getting worse. It may be a disease.
Actually, the leaves do somewhat resemble a very serious disease to consider: Citrus Greening or Huanglongbing (HLB).
Citrus greening is an incurable bacterial disease that has devastated Florida's Citrus Industry. If it is Citrus Greening you should destroy the tree. I wish I could point you to a site that offers free PCR testing but I don't know of one. Hopefully there is an option like that available for home growers. If not, then Florida Agriculture needs to be doing more, much more. Still, don't be in denial. Consult available experts and try to get the most professional diagnosis possible.

Last edited:

Ask a Question