Lemon tree help

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all. I hope you might have some good news for me. I grew this leamon tree from a seed. Had it for 4 years, and the other night my husband forgot about it left it outside in cold weather. Now it' goi f down hill fast. Is there anything I can do to save it. I' so afraid that it' going to die.

Attachments

• 1523188024977988678492.jpg
    1523188024977988678492.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 301
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It all depends on how cold it was and how long it was cold. Since the tree is from seed to kill the tree the roots had to have been frozen. The top of the tree from the soil level up may be dead but if the roots didn't freeze it should come back, but, it will take time. There is no way to tell at this time. Just keep it warm and with normal watering. NO fertilizer. And wait for new growth to show. Be patient. Hopefully the leaves will all fall off and new leaves will emerge. If that doesn't happen look for new shoots coming up from the soil or from the base of the plant.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It all depends on how cold it was and how long it was cold. Since the tree is from seed to kill the tree the roots had to have been frozen. The top of the tree from the soil level up may be dead but if the roots didn't freeze it should come back, but, it will take time. There is no way to tell at this time. Just keep it warm and with normal watering. NO fertilizer. And wait for new growth to show. Be patient. Hopefully the leaves will all fall off and new leaves will emerge. If that doesn't happen look for new shoots coming up from the soil or from the base of the plant.

Saddly it was outside in -10 over night. I noticed it not in its normal spot around 7am and took it inside.
Is there anything I can to to keep it warmer? Of just in a sunny spot in the house (whenever the sun decides to come out of hiding that is )

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Saddly it was outside in -10 over night. I noticed it not in its normal spot around 7am and took it inside.
Is there anything I can to to keep it warmer? Of just in a sunny spot in the house (whenever the sun decides to come out of hiding that is )

Also for the first time it actually smells like a lemon. ... I know lemon tree lemon smell but I has never done that before

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, that's not good news. A nice sunny spot inside will be OK. Let's hope that within a couple of weeks the leaves begin to fall off. This entire process will probably take a couple of months.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, that's not good news. A nice sunny spot inside will be OK. Let's hope that within a couple of weeks the leaves begin to fall off. This entire process will probably take a couple of months.

And once the fall off just leave it .. water like normal and hope for the best ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also for the first time it actually smells like a lemon. ... I know lemon tree lemon smell but I has never done that before
That is a chemical called D'limonene that is being exuded from the leaves. It's normal and happens when a leaf is in anyway injured.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And once the fall off just leave it .. water like normal and hope for the best ?
No. Water it normally all of the time. Even with the dead leaves. If the roots are still alive they will need water. Just don't water more than normal because you know the plant is sick and weak. Just hope that the leaves fall off.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No. Water it normally all of the time. Even with the dead leaves. If the roots are still alive they will need water. Just don't water more than normal because you know the plant is sick and weak. Just hope that the leaves fall off.

Ok thank you so much for your help. I really hope my tree comes back. It' honnestly the first plant I was successful in growing from a seed :(

Ask a Question