Lemon grown from seed plz help

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi i have a lemon plant that i grew from seed about a year ago and i wanted to ask if i need to prune beca use ithink its got to tall plz tell what you think about it.

Attachments

• 20221125_093732.jpg
    20221125_093732.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I see a couple of things: The main trunk, the one tied up, is leggy, which means it isn't getting enough light. You can prune it if like. Your tree is also suffering from a micro-nutrient deficiency, probably either iron or magnesium or both as shown by the slight yellowing and pronounced appearance of green veins on the leaves. This often happens with container-grown citrus. Fertilize and apply Liquid Iron or Iron Chelate as directed. You will know when the plant is happy when its leaves turn a dark glossy green, not the dull green they are now.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I see a couple of things: The main trunk, the one tied up, is leggy, which means it isn't getting enough light. You can prune it if like. Your tree is also suffering from a micro-nutrient deficiency, probably either iron or magnesium or both as shown by the slight yellowing and pronounced appearance of green veins on the leaves. This often happens with container-grown citrus. Fertilize and apply Liquid Iron or Iron Chelate as directed. You will know when the plant is happy when its leaves turn a dark glossy green, not the dull green they are now.
Ok ill fertlize with micro-nutrient.
Buy i want to know more about the pruning because i dont know where should i cut it exactly and how much because im afraid ill ruin it.
Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you prune citrus it becomes bushier which is the most productive means of growing citrus. The only part of the plant I would prune at this time is the main trunk portion, the portion that is tied to the stake. You see the fork in the trunk above where the trunk is tied? Cut this fork just above the first node on both sides of the fork. Try to straighten the trunk by tying it in numerous places to the stake. And give the plant more light, even if you have to use artificial lighting or it will continue to have spindly weak growth.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
When you prune citrus it becomes bushier which is the most productive means of growing citrus. The only part of the plant I would prune at this time is the main trunk portion, the portion that is tied to the stake. You see the fork in the trunk above where the trunk is tied? Cut this fork just above the first node on both sides of the fork. Try to straighten the trunk by tying it in numerous places to the stake. And give the plant more light, even if you have to use artificial lighting or it will continue to have spindly weak growth.
So if i understood you right i should cut it exactly like that.
And also i dont think its a light problem because my balcony gets a lot of light during the day i think the stem got too leggy because seedlings always tend to grow up wards and i always was lazy / afraid of pruning it.

Attachments

• 20221125_093732.jpg
    20221125_093732.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So if i understood you right i should cut it exactly like that.
And also i dont think its a light problem because my balcony gets a lot of light during the day i think the stem got too leggy because seedlings always tend to grow up wards and i always was lazy / afraid of pruning it.
NO! Cut it above the fork one node up. You will make two cuts, one cut on each branch. And plants, ALL PLANTS, grow upwards like your lemon when they are not getting enough direct sunlight. Have you ever seen a tree planted outside grow like that? No, you haven't and the reason is sunlight is not restricted like it is indoors. Citrus REQUIRES 6-8 hours of DIRECT SUNLIGHT daily, not partial indirect lighting like your tree is getting.

Ask a Question