Lemon cucumbers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My dad got some free lemon cucumbers at work the other day from a local farmer and he gave me a couple to try. I have never heard of these, but they are the same shape as a lemon. He says they are more mild in flavor than a standard cucumber; I can't wait to try them this weekend.

Reaction score
I would agree Rosyrain - that although lemon cucumbers have lemon colored flesh and don't taste at all like lemons - they are very much sweeter and milder than regular cucumbers - in fact I actually prefer the taste of them compared to that of the ordinary ones - especially as their skin is much more tender too.

Here are some pics for those who don't know what they look like

Lemon Cucumbers 1.jpg

Lemon Cucumbers 3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I hear of lemon cucumbers. It's so interesting. I would love to try them! I'm sure I would like them. They look really tasty:) Also, I love regular cucumbers.

Reaction score
Those are beautiful and look to be more of a serving size than full size cucumbers. These would make nice cucumber sandwiches on saltine crackers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am very excited to try mine out, I have never seen them in stores or heard of them before. I will let you all know how they taste.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
These are the only cucumbers I grow. They never get bitter and are always crisp. The first photo is when they should be picked. The second photo they are over ripe and while still ok they are seedy.

If you haven't tried growing them give them a try. They are very prolific so much so I am tired of eating them. My friends are tired of them too:( Maybe its time to have my hubby take some to his work also:D

I don't know how they would pickle since I never have tried them that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where do you get the seeds to grow them? I have never seen the seeds in my local shops. Is this one in which you can take the seed straight from the vegetable and grow it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The seeds are fairly easy to find. I usually get mine locally from Territorial Seeds, but the big seed companies usually carry lemon cuke seeds too. I know Parker Seeds does. Google search should turn them up. They are an heirloom variety dating from the 1890s. You should be able to save seed if other cucumber varieties haven't been grown in the same area. Good luck.

Ask a Question