Lemon as an alternative

Reaction score
Yes, I do. I use lemon juice so often, it's the perfect seasoning for most things! I love to prepare ''chiles toreados'' with some soy sauce seasoned with a lot lemon juice. The taste is just amazing!

Reaction score
I seriously use fresh lemon juice for everything! I put it on kale, on salads, in my water, in a mayo/garlic blend to use as a spread on grilled veggie sandwiches, in hummus... I am in love with it!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use fresh lemon juice on just about all fish dishes I make, as opposed to salt. It makes the dish taste so much more fresh!

Reaction score
I like to squeeze some lemon juice on vegies and my salads. I also use it a lot in different marinades for meats, I find I do not need as much salt when I cook. And of course, lemon juice on fish is always a winner. I love the taste lemon juice gives chicken. I also use it in rice with parsley. I just have to be careful not to go overboard when I start sqeezing!

Reaction score
I just made a batch of hummus. I did not think of adding lemon to it. I might have to try that next time. Do you squeeze half a lemon or whole?

Reaction score
Lemon has an abundance of uses in cooking as well in other areas. I use it in my stir fries and fish and lemon were made for one another. I don't salt food as a rule and if I do I use sea salt.

Reaction score
I just made a batch of hummus. I did not think of adding lemon to it. I might have to try that next time. Do you squeeze half a lemon or whole?

For maybe 8-10 ounces of garbonzo beans, I'll add up to 2 lemons (it seems like a lot until you add the tahini paste). I like the texture and flavor it provides. Do you use tahini as your hummus paste? I love tahini but I didn't have any last week so I used peanut-butter and fixed the peanuty-taste by adding another half of lemon.

Reaction score
I do not add tahini paste in my hummus. I know that a alot of people like to add it, but I don't. I think you can still get a great flavor without it. I just use whatever herbs I have around when I make it so I have never made it the same way twice. However, I do go to all the trouble and peel off the thin shells on the beans. It makes a smoother hummus.

Reaction score
I never thought to peel off the shells. It's funny that you mention it because I just saw a cooking show online the other day that suggested it. I think I will try it your way. And, yes, of course, it's still good without tahini paste. I used to make hummus all the time before I even discovered tahini. I prefer it with tahini now but if I'm out, I don't mind using peanut-butter or nothing at all. It's all in the flavor. I admit, though. I think I'd like it without a paste better if I shelled the beans. Thanks for the idea!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many uses for lemons when cooking, I like to the juice to my fish and greens. Tea without a slice of lemon is just not tea. I like to use the lemon rind to make the garbage disposal stay clean smelling.

Reaction score
I've actually never considered it to be honest. I've always used it on fish that's true, but never as a substitute for salt. Does that really work, or do you mean it as a healthy substitute to replace salt?

Reaction score
I use lemon juice a lot when i am cooking however i think i use it more on a daily basis in my drinking water and in most of the juices that i make; it's not only beneficial but it's just so tasty and refreshing.

Reaction score
I most certainly do. The juice of lemons has a lot of minerals that season well your food. I do this because I suffer from-high blood presure and common salt is prohibited for me. Try this and you will see there is no much difference than when using salt. Besides you are getting more benefits from the extra nutrients lemon gives you.

Ask a Question