Leaves falling off after transplant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
A few days ago my beloved boyfriend had given me another beautiful, miniature rose. The next day, I transplanted it into a bigger pot. Now, it's losing leaves! They don't wither, they just fall off, and buds are turning yellow:(Fortunately not all of them, so I hope that the plant will survive.
Have I done something wrong? I tried to be as gentle as possible and I watered the rose right after I had transplanted it. How can I help my plant?

Reaction score
Maybe it's something to do with the conditions where it was before he bought it being different to where you have it now. Hopefully it'll soon pick up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you! I think that you are right, my miniature rose may losing leaves because of the change of conditions...I hope that soon it will adapt to the new environment. I already love it, I want it to grow healthy.

Reaction score
Thank you! I think that you are right, my miniature rose may losing leaves because of the change of conditions...I hope that soon it will adapt to the new environment. I already love it, I want it to grow healthy.

Good luck. If not all the buds are turning yellow, then there's still hope. Just keep taking care of it and hopefully it'll adjust.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately it already lost all its buds and almost all leaves (there are only a few left:( ). Also, most stems turned brown. I decided to take some cuttings from it and to plant them. I don't see any other solution:(

Reaction score
Unfortunately it already lost all its buds and almost all leaves (there are only a few left:( ). Also, most stems turned brown. I decided to take some cuttings from it and to plant them. I don't see any other solution:(

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you have some luck with the cuttings. I know it hurts to lose a plant. I've had a couple of plants that I got attached to because I grew them from seeds and it hurt when pests or bad weather killed them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
IYes, it realy hurts:( But there is hope, tree stems are still green and there are five leaves on them. I want my miniature rose to survive! It produces such beautiful and unique flowers:(

Reaction score
IYes, it realy hurts:( But there is hope, tree stems are still green and there are five leaves on them. I want my miniature rose to survive! It produces such beautiful and unique flowers:(

As long as the plant is green and has leaves ,there's hope. I once saved a plant that was basically just a green stem. Trim off the sick brown parts so the plant can use its energy on healing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As long as the plant is green and has leaves ,there's hope. I once saved a plant that was basically just a green stem. Trim off the sick brown parts so the plant can use its energy on healing.

Thank you for the advice. I trimmed off all the brown parts. I hope that the plant will focus on healing. The cuttings that I planted a few days ago didn't make it:(

Reaction score
All i can think of is the environment, soil, combination was a shock.

You can watch it a few days, Continue watering it. Add food soil, and if branches die off, prune it.

There is still hope to bring it back. Love and tenderness can do the trick.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Charahome, thank you. Three small branches surviived. Currently, my rose went dormant, I hope that it will start growing quickly in spring. It looked so beautiful when I received it and it's very dear to me, so I really want it to get better.

Reaction score
I feel your pain, this happened to me with my Jalapeno plants. They didn't even bother to turn yellow they just slowly fell out. I guess that person is right about it being about the conditions it was in before. I believe it does make sense as when you have a plant growing in a pot you usually are using different soil then what your garden is made up of. I put down about four inches of potting soil in my garden and the rest of the dirt is this hard gross clay, I don't think they liked that. It is also caused by movement shock. Plants don't like to be moved apparently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for your reply, Whitewolf2578. Unfortunately, my rose didn't survive. I'm pretty sure I overwatered it. When I created this thread, I didn't now that I shouldn't water my plants every day. Now, I do this less often and they're doing much better.
I learned my lesson, I hope I won't kill any more roses.

Ask a Question