Leaf spot? Something else? Nothing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
New gardener here! This morning, I found a branch on my Super Sweet 100 with leaves that looked pretty terrible. I pulled the worst ones off. Is this leaf spot? Another disease? Nothing to worry about?
IMG_5772.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
New gardener here! This morning, I found a branch on my Super Sweet 100 with leaves that looked pretty terrible. I pulled the worst ones off. Is this leaf spot? Another disease? Nothing to worry about?View attachment 79267
The damaged part of the leaf looks like wind or sun or some other similar mechanical damage which has weakened and stressed that portion of the plant. The little black dots looks like insect excrement or honeydew. Go ahead and snip off the entire damaged limb. It is not a fruit bearing part of the plant. I don't think it is much to worry about but keep a close eye on the plant just to make sure. If symptoms persist post back. Once a tomato has become stressed it falls prey to all kinds of bugs. I would spray with spinosad before the problem spreads.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The damaged part of the leaf looks like wind or sun or some other similar mechanical damage which has weakened and stressed that portion of the plant. The little black dots looks like insect excrement or honeydew. Go ahead and snip off the entire damaged limb. It is not a fruit bearing part of the plant. I don't think it is much to worry about but keep a close eye on the plant just to make sure. If symptoms persist post back. Once a tomato has become stressed it falls prey to all kinds of bugs. I would spray with spinosad before the problem spreads.

Thanks for the reply, Chuck! I'm glad to hear you don't think it's a disease. I actually sprayed some spinosad on it last night because leaf miners have been hard at work in the garden -- I wonder if that actually could have damaeged the leaves. Either way, I've clipped off the limb and will pay attention to what happens next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, Chuck! I'm glad to hear you don't think it's a disease. I actually sprayed some spinosad on it last night because leaf miners have been hard at work in the garden -- I wonder if that actually could have damaeged the leaves. Either way, I've clipped off the limb and will pay attention to what happens next.
It's definitely not a leaf spot disease. Spinosad doesn't work very well on miners because it doesn't kill the egg. A moth flies in at night and lays an egg. This egg hatches and the little tiny worm immediately chews his way into the interior of the leaf where nothing but a systemic pesticide will kill him. Neem Oil will kill the egg. But it's a good thing you did spray with spinosad because that honeydew has to come from some very tiny insect, probably Thrips or mites.

Ask a Question