Leaf shredding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I’m new to the forum! Howdy!
I’m fairly new to the gardening game. I want to make some leaf mould and I’m looking for a good way to shred the leaves so that the process is quicker. I see a few tools that shred dry leaves ok but the problem is I’m in the UK and I’m finding it hard come across dry leaves as it’s raining every day so they are all sodden wet! I had a 3 in 1 garden vac that was ok but was only half decent when the weather was dry (which isn’t that often) but it didn’t shred it that well as I’d still had full leaves in the collection bag. It packed up anyway after 3 weeks so I got my money back.

ive seen online that people shred them in a bin using a strimmer but I think the leaves need to be dry. I’ve got an undercover aly next to my house which I’ve scattered a load of leaves over to dry them but it’s going to be a slow and tedious process.

Has anyone got any bright ideas? It will be much appreciated!

thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
first they have to be dry. next run over them with your lawn mower (without the bag). then put bag on and run over again, sucking them up, you got shredded leaves.
Thanks for the reply. I did try that with a flymo mower and leaves just flying everywhere making a huge mess. Maybe Il buy a decent lawn mower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply. I did try that with a flymo mower and leaves just flying everywhere making a huge mess. Maybe Il buy a decent lawn mower.

Hi and welcome.

81KAIgHqJSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My Flymo an "Ultraglide," has a big fan, the same size as the blade behind it. I use it as a "lawn leaf collector" at this time of the year, it's very good at collecting them, wet or dry.

It does mean that most of the leaves get partially shredded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have something similar to the image below and it's ok for normal leaves, but it gets clogged up real fast when I try and shred the leaves of the Southern Magnolia, which are very thick and waxy and it doesn't shred them much.

I think a lawn mower is the cheapest and most effective way to shred leaves.

1574765540334.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have something similar to the image below and it's ok for normal leaves, but it gets clogged up real fast when I try and shred the leaves of the Southern Magnolia, which are very thick and waxy and it doesn't shred them much.

I think a lawn mower is the cheapest and most effective way to shred leaves.

View attachment 59829
Yea I had something similar. It’s was ok with dry smaller leaves like oak but the bigger leaves used to clog it up. Was a pain to un clog all the time so I think I’m going to buy a decent lawn mower. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one of these on eBay three years ago they're only about thirty-something quid and they are 3000w.

c6b0d72b-6fb4-4feb-a304-d59de80d475f.jpg

They are extremely good, but they can get a build up of impacted soil around the fan housing. They are a bit of a chore to clean every three months or so, but easy enough, as they are held together by about fifteen screws. You can also get at the motor to put a bit of oil on the bearing after scraping out the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
First off, I have tons of leaves. So we have, a huge ridding mower, I can work the mower to blow the chopped into a circle sometime, or sometime not. it has nice bags on the back. for the second round to get the chopped up leaves. and we have blowers, big tarps, many rakes. we can burn also. picture here is just the back yard before leaf removal. the front is just as bad, then the side yards. we usually rake into January. as long as its dry. some years I find help to do part of it.
fall view.jpg
hope to again this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hi and welcome.

View attachment 59824
My Flymo an "Ultraglide," has a big fan, the same size as the blade behind it. I use it as a "lawn leaf collector" at this time of the year, it's very good at collecting them, wet or dry.

It does mean that most of the leaves get partially shredded.
My leaves would look at that thing and laugh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our golf course has two blower attachments for two of the tractors, we have thousands of trees lining the fairways.

Picture 009.jpg

It's like a ballet watching two of the greens' staff on the tractors coralling the leaves on each hole into a big pile to the side of the fairways before taking them away in a trailer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Our golf course has two blower attachments for two of the tractors, we have thousands of trees lining the fairways.

View attachment 59837

It's like a ballet watching two of the greens' staff on the tractors coralling the leaves on each hole into a big pile to the side of the fairways before taking them away in a trailer.
and your golf course has dedicated full time people working at the project daily. Not two elder people who have other jobs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, I have tons of leaves. So we have, a huge ridding mower, I can work the mower to blow the chopped into a circle sometime, or sometime not. it has nice bags on the back. for the second round to get the chopped up leaves. and we have blowers, big tarps, many rakes. we can burn also. picture here is just the back yard before leaf removal. the front is just as bad, then the side yards. we usually rake into January. as long as its dry. some years I find help to do part of it. View attachment 59836 hope to again this year.
Would love a ride along mower but they cost a fortune!

Ask a Question