Leaf Rollers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b-10a
Country
United States
I live under an Oak tree, which I have learned this year, harbors leaf rollers. Is there anything natural I can spray on my plants to make them less tasty to these leaf destroying little worms? They are enjoying my pinapple sage a bit to much. Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live under an Oak tree, which I have learned this year, harbors leaf rollers. Is there anything natural I can spray on my plants to make them less tasty to these leaf destroying little worms? They are enjoying my pinapple sage a bit to much. Thanks in advance :)
Spray your plants and the tree with Bt. It kills all caterpillars including leafrollers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b-10a
Country
United States
Thank you. Did some research :) So, on the same note of under the oak tree, FLIES!! I know what to plant, my question is, will the plant itself help, or is it only after making oils or sprays?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. Did some research :) So, on the same note of under the oak tree, FLIES!! I know what to plant, my question is, will the plant itself help, or is it only after making oils or sprays?
Flies come and go and don't usually cause a problem. I rarely have to use anything on my garden for insects but once in awhile I have caterpillar problems and use Bt. (Bacillus thuringensis) which is an organic caterpillar only killer. Organically grown plants are more insect resistant than plants grown with synthetics but from time to time a bug or a caterpillar becomes a problem. And if is a bug I use a Spinosad based insecticide. And for most fungus and mildew problems that might arise or for egg destruction and for certain insects I use Neem Oil. All three of these products are organic and effective. And yes, plants do help themselves in repelling insects but sometimes stuff happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b-10a
Country
United States
Sorry, I didn't clarify that properly. I meant to repel them from me! lol They are absolutely horrid! I have traps out and about, but they still are here. Especially the ones that I call drone flies because they don't do anything but have their little groups and hover around. I'm working on Lavender and mint for the mosquitos ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry, I didn't clarify that properly. I meant to repel them from me! lol They are absolutely horrid! I have traps out and about, but they still are here. Especially the ones that I call drone flies because they don't do anything but have their little groups and hover around. I'm working on Lavender and mint for the mosquitos ...
Are you refering to gnats?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b-10a
Country
United States
Nope, not gnats. I had never seen these before I moved to Northern California. They are a fly of some sort. They make no noise, and they don't 'bother' you other than the fact they are right in your way. But I do have horseflies and other varities.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nope, not gnats. I had never seen these before I moved to Northern California. They are a fly of some sort. They make no noise, and they don't 'bother' you other than the fact they are right in your way. But I do have horseflies and other varities.
Well, one good thing. They don't crawl into your ears and you don't breath them in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b-10a
Country
United States
This is very true haha. Now the leaf rollers on the other hand ... honestly never heard of such a thing and thought I was going crazy thinking things were crawling on me. Turns out there was!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is very true haha. Now the leaf rollers on the other hand ... honestly never heard of such a thing and thought I was going crazy thinking things were crawling on me. Turns out there was!!
About those leaf rollers in the oak tree. They come down out of the tree on a thread they excrete trying to get to another part of the tree but they can't see worth a darn and end up down here with us humans. You can either spray the oak tree with Bt or wear a hat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many caterpillars (Lepidoptera) that feed on Oaks (Quercus) in northern California.
If the caterpillars in question actually are the larvae of a Leafroller Moth (Torticidae), it may be the American Fruit Tree Leafroller (Archips argyrospila), which despite its common name, also feeds on a number of other trees, including Oaks.
The caterpillar stage will come to an end in late Spring and the adults will fly in Summer. A healthy Oak should be able to recover from such herbivory, and both the caterpillars and the adult moths may be important food sources for insectivorous birds. I recommend you take no action, other than wear a hat in late Spring.

Ask a Question