Lawn rotovated but weed killer not applied first - weed kill now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i intend to lay new lawn as old lawn not touched for few years and full of variety of grasses, weeds and not level.

i strimmed down the old lawn which was about foot tall and extremely knotty, then rotorvated the whole area.

what i didn't do was spray any weed killer down....and worried that due to the amount of unwanted grasses and weeds i've rotorvated in, they will just take over any lawn i lay.

my questions is; should i therefore weed kill (glyphosate) the whole site now before putting down new top soil and turf - or just continue levelling add re-turf?

few images of before and current.

Thanks
before garden.jpg
garden2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
(glyphosate) only works well when its hot about 90 degrees or 32C with sunshine and needs three days for a complete kill. If you put it down before your new turf you will need to wait a while for the left-over glyphosate to dissolve away. Looks like you are doing a nice job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And glysophate must enter a plant, usually through the pores in the leaves. It is too late now to apply glysophate. If you lay down your turf now you will have even more unwanted grasses and weeds than you did before rototilling. All you can do is work with the leveling and let the old seeds that tilling brought to the surface and weeds that will comeback resprout and then apply glysophate. Good Luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You will want to roll that yard as roto works will produce a lumpy surface over time. This is a good moment to ensure the direction of water flows.

Ask a Question