Lawn needs fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone 1-year is a photo of my lawn and as you can see that is in desperate need of some TLC I have bought the seeds that are supposed to be slow grow

The idea is that I can have a nice loan that doesn't grow very quickly and very low maintenance

Would anyone have any advice on how to proceed? As I am a total novice gardener
IMG-20210603-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210603-WA0000.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That looks as though there are an awful lot of weeds in it, and there will be plenty of weed seeds as well. Do you want to work by hand or would you use a cultivator? If you run a mower over it and then take out squares one spade width each way and turn them over most of those potential problems will be buried, no need to go too deep, that is just extra work and buries the top soil A cultivator will not do that nearly as well, and if the soil is clay where the blade goes across the bottom it can compress it badly. A cultivator is less work, more expense and more noise. Give it long enough for most of the weed seeds to germinate and then give it a hoe and rake it nice and flat. A roller is a good idea if you can get one. When you have seeded remember to protect from birds eating all your seed. Some people string thread about across the surface, that is a lot of work and not too certain. I have a number of old bits of aviary wire and chicken wire I keep for such purposes, but old net curtain from Oxfam would do just as well.

Good luck, that looks like some good seed you have, much more certain than turfing, that can simply be someone's meadow skimmed off, the wrong grasses full of weeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Picture No. 1 says it all. 'Wild Seed'.

Much depends upon the individual. Do you simply want a grass area, where the kids can play, and on fine days, you can sit out and peacfully relax. Or do you want professional type lawn?

Sorry, but your patch of grass, looks not much different than a piece of waste land. No offence intended. Long time ago, when doing my groundsmans course, I found it was so interesting. I never before, knew that there were so many kinds of grass, and much has to be considered if and when, seting down a lawn, bowling green, tennis court of a football pitch.
Often gardeners are fogged into trusting the labels on seed packs.

Individuals can spend loads of money, trying this and that. During part of my employment. I contacted Suttons Seed merchants for samples. This was in line with my teaching/instructing staff. They sent me over a hundred pkts of various grass seeds all gratis. So might I suggest you drop them a line. Explaine your intentions and leave the rest to them. Best wishes.

Ask a Question