Lawn mower types

Reaction score
What type of lawn mower do you use? How much did it cost? Riding or push? I have a John Deer riding mower, and an older push mower that I use to get some of the more hard to reach areas of my lawn. Pretty satisfied with both, but I'm going to need to replace my push mower very soon as it has a lot of wear and tear on it. I've owned it for a while. What would be your recommendation when it comes to a good push mower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What type of lawn mower do you use? How much did it cost? Riding or push? I have a John Deer riding mower, and an older push mower that I use to get some of the more hard to reach areas of my lawn. Pretty satisfied with both, but I'm going to need to replace my push mower very soon as it has a lot of wear and tear on it. I've owned it for a while. What would be your recommendation when it comes to a good push mower?
Get one with a mulching blade or if not that one that catches the clippings that you can put into your compost pile or both

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Choose something not very heavy. I have an old push mower. Using it is a nightmare for me, I think it weighs a ton! I really hate it. I'd love to buy a riding mower, but they're a little too expensive for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have both a riding mower and a walk-behind. The walk-behind is a Honda, and I love it! As recommended above, it has both a mulching and a bagging capacity, and is self-propelled. Very easy to use and starts on the first, and during cooler weather, the second pull (in Texas we are still mowing in November!). The very best thing about it is that you don't have to shut it off to go over a gravel path, or to empty the bag--there is a cut-off feature that stops the blade but not the engine. I've used it for two years now and can't find one tiny thing I don't like about it, and I'm highly critical of any machinery!

Reaction score
We have both a riding mower and a walk-behind. The walk-behind is a Honda, and I love it! As recommended above, it has both a mulching and a bagging capacity, and is self-propelled. Very easy to use and starts on the first, and during cooler weather, the second pull (in Texas we are still mowing in November!). The very best thing about it is that you don't have to shut it off to go over a gravel path, or to empty the bag--there is a cut-off feature that stops the blade but not the engine. I've used it for two years now and can't find one tiny thing I don't like about it, and I'm highly critical of any machinery!

About how much did the Honda mower cost you, if you don't mind me asking? I didn't even know they made lawn mowers. I'm not looking to sink a lot of money into this thing, but I am willing to pay a mid range price for a solid push mower. Is it worth what you paid for it, and have you had to do any repairs on it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a battery powered Bosch (34Li I think it's called) that I got a good deal on last year - I love it :). I did however had a problem with the battery earlier in the year, but it was exchanged without fuss and it's better than ever.

I've only got a small area of grass, so when our old mower bit the dust I bought this one for ease and speed - I don't regret it in an instant. If I had a larger garden then I'd go for a petrol mower, but as ours it only small and needs a manoeuvrable mower, battery powered is perfect (and light!).

Reaction score
How much did you give for your Bosch, Ian? I think I'm going to end up going the used route when buying my new push mower. Just think I can find a good used one for a much better return on investment than blowing a bunch of money on a new one. Hopefully I can find one soon.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it was half price (around £150) - it was more expensive than a non-battery equivalent, but for me it's been worth it to save so much time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
gmckee, we bought the Honda at the end of the season, so it was marked down to about $300. During spring and fall we mow every five days, during the summer only about every 10 days. I mow about one acre with the Honda, and use it for trimming close to flower beds in the front yard that is mowed with the riding mower. The Honda gets a lot of use! We have not had to repair anything, but we do take care of it--changing oil, making sure the undercarriage is clean, and having the blades sharpened regularly. I think it is worth every penny we paid.

Reaction score
i got the cheapest little murray push mower walmart had. it spits and sputters and generaly sounds like it's about to stop the whole time it's running, but i've had it about 8-9 years and it always runs long enough to get my little yard cut.

wait. do you mean a gas mower you have to push, or a non powered o push mower?

Reaction score
19 hp Craftsman rider with bagger attachment.
Also purchased a 2 stage blower for the winters.
Huskavarna happens to be the actual manufacturer.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply marlinggardner. $300 isn't bad at all. I may have to take a look at making the same purchase you did. I'm sure it'll be hard to find that type of discount, but I'm definitely going to look hard.

Ask a Question