Late planting of potatoes

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'd like some advice on whether I am too late to plant maincrop potatotoes this year. I have some seed potatoes chitted and ready to plant but am concerned I have left it too late.
It has been such a harsh winter and late spring and the ground was so cold and wet that the earlies didn't get planted until late May so I was hoping that if I get the Maincrop ones in now will I still get any potatoes before the end of the year?
All views would be appreciated.
M

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

I know what you mean with the weather, everythings a month behind down here too.

Maincrop spuds take 22 weeks to mature so you'd be into the frost period again, if the late blight don't get them first.

So you've got a few choices, you could plant them in tubs so you could move them somewhere frost free later. Bear in mind it won't be easy considering the size the haulms will be by then.

Or be prepared to cover them to protect, which is a lot of effort.

Or ditch them and plant an early variety which only take 13 weeks to mature.

If you just leave the maincrops out to take their chances, you'll probably at least have small new potatoes by the time the frost takes them out.

If you can get hold of some Charlotte seed potatoes now, i'd use them instead of the maincrop :)

Reaction score
Thanks zigs. I have already planted some Charlotte (about 2 weeks or so ago) and they are showing green shoots already so hope to earth them up in a week or so. I have decided to take a chance on the maincrop spuds and maybe hope for a late start to the frosts. Not much hope this far North but you never can tell with our funny weather these days.
I'll set the alarm clock for 22 weeks and see how they are then. Thanks again.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's good that the Charlotte's are in:)

Worth a go, keep some fleece handy & see how long you can keep em going.

Ask a Question