Larvae (I think!) in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the site! We have a good size garden on a slight incline south facing, new build house with the turf laid by the developer in July. The turf has grown well with plenty of care and attention from myself. However at the start of the month i noticed the attached Larvae (i think thats what they are!) at the bottom of the garden right next to the house. roughly around 4 different patches.

Having looked online it looks like Larvae and have been told to "sort" the problem out before March next year when the weather gets warmer or else the turf could be ruined. I have spoken to the developer who have said this issue comes under maintenance and not part of the 2 year warranty provided.

The turf was laid on sand and no top soil and im guessing whatever was left by the builder in the garden has caused this issue. Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)
turf 3.JPG

Attachments

• turf.JPG
    turf.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 353
  • turf 2.JPG
    turf 2.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 265
  • turf 4.JPG
    turf 4.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm wondering if corn meal was put down when the lawn was put in. Could that be the reason?
I use corn meal a LOT to keep fungus down and I have never seen anything even slightly resembling what the OP is showing. I have never seen anything in or on the cornmeal except weevils.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all, new to the site! We have a good size garden on a slight incline south facing, new build house with the turf laid by the developer in July. The turf has grown well with plenty of care and attention from myself. However at the start of the month i noticed the attached Larvae (i think thats what they are!) at the bottom of the garden right next to the house. roughly around 4 different patches.

Having looked online it looks like Larvae and have been told to "sort" the problem out before March next year when the weather gets warmer or else the turf could be ruined. I have spoken to the developer who have said this issue comes under maintenance and not part of the 2 year warranty provided.

The turf was laid on sand and no top soil and im guessing whatever was left by the builder in the garden has caused this issue. Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)View attachment 29809
You've got me interested. Please send close up photo and something for scale as to their size

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've looked into what Larisa said and I think she got it right....
I also looked it up and from what I can see these worms/larvae look more segmented than Bibionidae, more like some sort of wire worm. But what ever they are I don't think they are beneficial. I wonder if they are hard bodied or soft bodied too. @Larisa could very well be correct.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I agree, need a much better photo to determine exact species. What I found interesting is a description like here, but I'm sure other organisms may display similar behavior...:
But more close up pictures would be good....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibionidae

Excerpt:

"Bibionid larvae grow up in grassy areas and are herbivores and scavengers feeding on dead vegetation or living plant roots. Some species are found in compost.[9] Larvae are sometimes found in pockets in which sometimes up to 200 specimens have been counted."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree, need a much better photo to determine exact species. What I found interesting is a description like here, but I'm sure other organisms may display similar behavior...:
But more close up pictures would be good....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibionidae

Excerpt:

"Bibionid larvae grow up in grassy areas and are herbivores and scavengers feeding on dead vegetation or living plant roots. Some species are found in compost.[9] Larvae are sometimes found in pockets in which sometimes up to 200 specimens have been counted."
The only one I have seen here in Texas is in my compost pile and it is the Soldier Fly larvae.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/basics/soldier-flies-in-compost.htm

Ask a Question