Larisa and I keep streptocarpus. Do you grow Streptocarpus?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to upload some of mine from last year. If you have any, please share you memory makers with all interested forumers ..

Cynamon - love its webbing and the pastely pink!
Cynamon.jpg
cynamon2.jpg

Don't quite remember its name. Could be Alyana
Alyana Strepto.jpg

Very pretty yellow and violety tongue
blacklace2.jpg

My Black lace

dee12.jpg

deebig.jpg

This is DEE

dracula.jpg

Above is Dracula

DS GLAMOURATI.jpg

This is DS Glourami Very pretty

This white one is DS Sunny??
dssunnbn.jpg

fernw.jpg
Fernwoo.jpg
fernwood3.jpg

The above are Fernwood morning ??

Please upload yours ..

Attachments

• DS SOLAR ECLIPSE.jpg
    DS SOLAR ECLIPSE.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't grow them alp but yours are lovely and you have me tempted! Do they need a greenhouse?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@alp
It's amazing! I :love:(y) hardly kept myself to have a limit in the number of plants, in particular streptocarpuses. It is a great temptation to have them when there are a lot of beautiful varieties.
My collection is much more modest simply because I grow a lot of different colors at home.
I probably will not remember all the titles now.
But this is "DS Mozart".
IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

And others. :)

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_3399.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Beaus Mum: I didn't know that! Well, you can join in and upload some.

They are a nightmare to keep. But you don't really need a greenhouse. In fact, I kept them in my shoeboxes all through the winter in my lean to, bathroom and they keep nice, clean and bug free. I have the feeling that they are like Saint Paulia - somewhere coolish and yet very bright but never direct sunlight. That's why they can be very buggy in my hot house... They keep dying and I keep propagating - all this is making me very, very nervous .. LOL! I always remember seeing African Violets bursting with flowers under an air conditioning unit ..

Larisa: They are STUNNING: I can't sit still when I see flowers with those frilly edges.. and the petals wave around ..

Yours is a success story: so many blooms - I could only manage a few at a time and I know that I haven't stumbled onto a winning formula and that frustrates me no need. I reckon all the DS are beautiful.. I think I saw some familiar faces. I will upload some more after this post.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here we continue

Here Gina - a very beautiful plant
gina.jpg

gina1.jpg

Don't quite recall the name
lola12.jpg
lolTall.jpg

kahinta.jpg

This could be Kahinta

lenaG.jpg

This is mine and in fact all the photos here are mine except solar eclipse and that's why I didn't enlarge it. Lena - Gorgeous!
pinklady2.jpg

This one is Pink Lady

The one below is Pink Souflé
PinkSou (1).jpg

This one has no name and actually is a newcomer .. Got this for £3.50 and then it was reduced to 50p. Got 2 very similar.
PinkSou (2).jpg

pinkSoufle.jpg

Another pink souflé

Will continue later.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope Beaus Mum can upload some .. So looking forward to seeing others' .. Please upload if you have any ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you mis read me Alp, I liked them but do not have any :(
Yours and Larisa,s are beautiful :love:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What's wrong with me? But you know, BM, when it end of September, you can go to BQ when the Dibleys want to get rid of their stuff as they don't post after October, you can pick up one for 50p. That's how I got some of mine and the red one you saw near the bottom (last but one)has been introduced as this year's newcomer, I think.

But as you can see, none of them beat DS series and Larisa has some of the very best ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's wrong with me? But you know, BM, when it end of September, you can go to BQ when the Dibleys want to get rid of their stuff as they don't post after October, you can pick up one for 50p. That's how I got some of mine and the red one you saw near the bottom (last but one)has been introduced as this year's newcomer, I think.

But as you can see, none of them beat DS series and Larisa has some of the very best ..
Maybe you was upon early :LOL:
Just trying the quote thing

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I know. Should have studied English instead .. LOL! I always misunderstand others .. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@alp Sumptuously! :love:
I wanted to clarify whether they bloom in winter or not? It's just that my Streptocarpus blossom all year. With backlight and no backlighting too.

In winter, I add "banana water" (water infused with banana peel) into the water for irrigation. In spring and summer, I alternate mineral and organic fertilizers. But I use organic fertilizers more often. I noticed that the Gesneriaceae like this most organic . I buy dung in granules. It has no smell.
What kind of fertilizer do you use?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Larisa: all year round! Amazing.. I have bought some which are supposed to flower all year round - Crystal Dawn, Polka Dots.. But my conditions just do not suit them and they struggle. I panic such a lot of these streptos.. Normally, I'm happy go lucky and quite blasée.. But these strepts do get on my nerves a bit. They get buggy, smothered with aphids babies and mother. I had seed pods last year and before they matured, the stalks snapped and the seed pods were useless as they had no seeds. During winter, I propagate quite a few as it costs quite a bit to replace and I have promised myself that I won't bother buying them again. I want to be happy go lucky .. not enslaved ..

I've found your fertilisers most interesting. My ex's sister lives in Australia and she told me someone taught her to use banana skill to get the orchids to flowers and it worked. Here, we are drummed in the idea that Tomorite is best, so I use tomorite ... Today, I have opened the lids to the boxes .. expect an influx of aphids.. I'm dreading it...

Banana peel ie, banana skin. Does it have to be dry .. How long do you infuse it for please? Please tell me more ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
10937-eb9f67dd8f92ca98bc0866c6122d44c2.jpg

How long do you infuse it for please? Please tell me more

1 banana skinon the quart jar. I close the lid, but the water is not fully topped up. Potion starts to wander. 3-4 days is enough. When you open a bottle, potion like sparkling wine.
It can be diluted 1: 1, but I diluted 1: 2. (Banana water - water).
This composition is rich in potassium, calcium and phosphorus. This structure helps the plant to become a strong and ready to bloom, but to avoid rapid growth, which can provoke nitrogen.
This is useful for seedlings, as well as for watering houseplants in the winter. :):):)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. I have checked at least twice for your answer.. Thank you so much. I threw away one for composting,. Still got 2 left. Will do it tomorrow.

Ask a Question