landscape suggestions and plant identification

Reaction score
We moved into our first house recently, and I'd like some help identifying some of our plants. I'd also like some suggestions on how to "pretty up" some spots in the back yard. Aside from a little experience with growing tomatoes and hot peppers, I have zero landscaping and gardening knowledge.

First off, here are several pictures of plants around the property...what are they? I've numbered the pictures to make them easier to reference:

plants_0.jpg

plants_1.jpg

plants_2.jpg

plants_3.jpg

plants_4.jpg

plants_5.jpg

7 (the bush in the center of the pic...it recently had small yellow flowers)
plants_6.jpg

plants_9.jpg

Now, some questions:

First, how can I remove the vine that's overtaking the bush in pic #8? This vine seems pretty widespread and is popping up out of the ground all over the place near that bush as well:
plants_11.jpg

Second, I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with the area shown below...it's become a weed garden:
plants_7.jpg

plants_8.jpg

Should I dig everything out and bark-mulch it? Should I clear the weeds and grass-seed it? I'm looking for suggestions that will look nice and require little to no maintenance.

Thanks!

Reaction score
pretty sure the first pic is hosta, but i can't tell you much else.

the bottom two pics, if it were me i'd see about making a hiding place kind of spot if there's room for a clearing in the middle of the trees. separate from whatever main outdoor seating area you have. maybe stick a gazebo, picnic table, circle of chairs with a firepit (if it's safe with the trees so close, or even just a hammock bettween a couple of the trees. that would be my spot.

Reaction score
Number 1 is Hosta, number 5 is a Peony, and I believe the plant on the left side of number 6 is a Bleeding Heart. The right side of number 6 could be a few different things. Really need a flower to identify.
That's all I can help.

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I believe the ones by the back door are perennials - they are iris's and someone already listed the peonies; ants love them. The other one is what I would call a privit hedge its prickly and yes that could go. But as far as the one where you talk about mulch; you could pull it and put down the ground up wood chips and use as ground cover. Or you could til the soil under that tree but it may get tangled in the roots from the tree. Don't forget if you mulch to put down a barrier so that weeds don't come up. My rule of thumb is if its not pretty and to my liking ? I yank it. However, I like the 'wild look' whereas my husband prefers the manicured look of a nicely wood-chipped garden with neat little bushes here and there. I would keep most of what you have but trim it nicely. It's a beautiful property! Congratulations! You must be thrilled! We look forward to future posts of what you have done with it.

Ask a Question