Lamb's ear

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have several Lamb's Ear perennials around my gardens, given to me last year and this year. I have them in 3 separate gardens.

The ones in my part sun are doing OK, but the leaves are relatively small with a LOT of purple flowers! I run a sprinkler here for 20-30 minutes every 2 or 3 days, unless it has rained recently.

I have another full sun garden, and the ones here are nowhere near as pretty. They have small leaves and flowers, too, but a lot of the leaves and stems look dried out; not quite dead, just dry. I run sprinklers here every other day for 20-30 minutes, too. The setcreasea, sedum, and bulb plants are all doing fine, so I don't think there's a problem with pests or the soil.

And I have a third garden that's part sun, but there's no irrigation there so it only gets watered with a jug once or twice a week. It looks just as bad as the ones in the full sun area, though! This garden gets morning sun and direct sun at noon, but by around 2pm it's shaded on the West by trees so it might get dappled sun.

I thought these plants were full sun and didn't need a lot of water, so I'm surprised that the healthiest ones are in part sun and get watered more often. But none of them have very large leaves.

I was VERY disappointed when I went to a local plant nursery last week and saw their lamb's ear... the leaves were HUGE in comparison to mine!

Any suggestions on how I might make mine healthier?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
An update with some pics... the first 3 pics are in the full sun area that's watered every other day, the other 2 are in the part sun area. Both were watered yesterday for about 20 minutes. I haven't had time to go to the part sun area that's less watered.

Nothing has been watered today. At the time of the pics it was 91 degrees, sunny, with 53% humidity.

20200710_145009.jpg
20200710_145025.jpg
20200710_145013.jpg
20200710_144941.jpg
20200710_144937.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Lamb's Ear is suppose to be perfect for a sunny spot in any permaculture or cottage garden.

Ask a Question