Kwao Krua Root

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So I got this root which I was told was a kwao kura root which is supposed to make a vine with flowers. It looks like a potato but with a yam shape however and I'm wondering that the best way to plant this thing might be. It's sitting on a plastic dixie style plate and is a little smaller than my fist.

Tuber Root.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
from what I have read the way to propagate this plant is from seed, not the tuber. I could be wrong however.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would be interested in knowing where you got any information at all on growing these things. I've looked for weeks with no real information on growing them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would be interested in knowing where you got any information at all on growing these things. I've looked for weeks with no real information on growing them.
The following link is for the red kwao krua but it seems the red and white varieties are basically the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Due to the lack of sufficient information on that site of this particular plant I don't find it a credible source. Also some obvious wrong information. It isn't a tree, or does it categorize it there because it grows near or on trees? Spacing is also obviously wrong. I've seen pictures at least of purple blooms. And if someone doesn't know where to grow it then how would they possibly know how to grow it or when to plant it?

Do you have any other source?

edit: Is this really the same plant even? The genus looks different.

Last edited:

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Due to the lack of sufficient information on that site of this particular plant I don't find it a credible source. Also some obvious wrong information. It isn't a tree, or does it categorize it there because it grows near or on trees? Spacing is also obviously wrong. I've seen pictures at least of purple blooms. And if someone doesn't know where to grow it then how would they possibly know how to grow it or when to plant it?

Do you have any other source?

edit: Is this really the same plant even? The genus looks different.
Nope, in fact I had never heard of the plant before you posted and I did a little internet search and the one I linked to is the best I found. There was another one about some farm in Thialand which is growing them from seed but that is all I gleaned from that site.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Which 'Kwao Krua' do you want seeds from?
As noted above, the name is used for several different plants. Black Kwao Krua (Mucuna macrocarpa or Mucuna collettii), Red Kwao Krua (Butea superba) and White Kwao Krua (Pueraria mirifica) are all tropical vines, in the Pea Family (Fabaceae), native to Asia and nearby regions, but the exact appearance and secondary chemistry of each plant is quite distinct.

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
So I got this root which I was told was a kwao kura root which is supposed to make a vine with flowers. It looks like a potato but with a yam shape however and I'm wondering that the best way to plant this thing might be. It's sitting on a plastic dixie style plate and is a little smaller than my fist.

View attachment 59250

Where did you buy the root from?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathandiaz

Latest Threads