Kimchi How to make

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
How to make Kimchi

Spice things up a bit!! Try making this awesome Korean side dish at home. Kimchi! It's spicy and bold and will put your taste buds on sensory overload; in a good way though. It is really easy to make and very good for you as it is loaded with pro-biotics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I actually did a cooking class on a trip to Korea and this was one of the dishes we learned how to make! Definitely has a unique flavor - and it's a great way to use cabbage from your garden if you grow it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I checked for the ingredients in the supermarket today. All or most is readily available so will give it a go. It sure looks interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was stationed in Korea for a while. I had a difficult time getting past the smell but it is spicey

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.maangchi.com/recipes/kimchi Korean kimchi recipes

Kimchi is a traditional Korean dish made of seasoned vegetables and salt. Koreans eat it at nearly every meal. It can be fresh, like a salad, or it can be fermented. While the most popular variety is spicy kimchi made of cabbage, there are hundreds of different types of kimchi made of different vegetables, and not all of them spicy. Kimchi is also a main ingredient in many other Korean dishes.

I answer many questions about making kimchi in a kimchi-making FAQ.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to be about to eat Kimchi when I were younger, but not anymore! It is too spicy especially the one already made in the store. My cousin made kimchi but less spicy and I like her version best!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love kimchi! I've only tried making it once, and it was nowhere near as good as the stuff I've had in restaurants. I couldn't get hold of Korean chilli powder at the time though, and I've read that it makes a big difference. I'd certainly be interested in a kimchi FAQ!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was stationed in Korea for a while. I had a difficult time getting past the smell but it is spicey
Same! Kinda, at least.
I was never stationed in Korea, but I had a friend who was from there, and when we were younger, her parents would make this quite frequently. I hated the smell, but I love the food itself, and I adore spicy foods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't have the patience to do kimchi or any other pickles like we used to do. I wonder why our schedule is very hectic even at home. Maybe it is because we have pets and lots of plants to take care of. But anyway, we just buy kimchi in the Korean grocery when we want it. At least what we eat is authentic Korean.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We don't have the patience to do kimchi or any other pickles like we used to do. I wonder why our schedule is very hectic even at home. Maybe it is because we have pets and lots of plants to take care of. But anyway, we just buy kimchi in the Korean grocery when we want it. At least what we eat is authentic Korean.
Is it easy to come by in the Philippines? Or is it just that you live in a big city with a lot of variety or something?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Is it easy to come by in the Philippines? Or is it just that you live in a big city with a lot of variety or something?
We live in the suburbs and even here there are Korean groceries. As I had mentioned, their products are quite expensive so we only buy on occasions. They also have ice cream on a stick which I always buy by the 6-pack because the kids love it. With kimchi, we never fail to have it when a cousin visits us because she used to live in Korea and it is understood that she loves Korean food.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We live in the suburbs and even here there are Korean groceries. As I had mentioned, their products are quite expensive so we only buy on occasions. They also have ice cream on a stick which I always buy by the 6-pack because the kids love it. With kimchi, we never fail to have it when a cousin visits us because she used to live in Korea and it is understood that she loves Korean food.
Ooooh that's so nice! Where I live, it's really rare to find Korean food unless you're in the middle of a city. Most of the suburbs here(I also live in a suburb) don't really seem to care for it, so it's like a treat when we do get it.

Ask a Question