Kidney bean planted WITH green beans HELP

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year (2020) out of haste and inexperience, I planted a wide variety of dry beans from my pantry... kidney beans included. Later that season, I found out the kidney bean pods were toxic to eat, so I dried the whole lot (as I couldn't tell them apart until dried). Now this season I only planted green beans (in the same location), buuut, someone said kidney beans can grow back on their own, are my green beans ruined again? Is it possible for the plants to regrow and now I have kidney beans masquerading as green beans?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last year (2020) out of haste and inexperience, I planted a wide variety of dry beans from my pantry... kidney beans included. Later that season, I found out the kidney bean pods were toxic to eat, so I dried the whole lot (as I couldn't tell them apart until dried). Now this season I only planted green beans (in the same location), buuut, someone said kidney beans can grow back on their own, are my green beans ruined again? Is it possible for the plants to regrow and now I have kidney beans masquerading as green beans?
Not to worry. Beans are annuals and complete their life cycle within a year. Kidney bean pods are not toxic but, the raw beans are toxic. This is why they are always dried and then cooked. Slight cooking destroys the toxins. The same goes for just about all dry bean varieties.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you soooooo much, been down all day worried that I was going to poison my kids or myself, and that we'd just let them all mature and dry them out.

Just to follow up, if I had eaten my kidney beans last year, (cooking them as snap beans) and the bean inside was immature and white, the husk/pod would NOT of been poisonous? It is just the mature bean, and not the pod/husk/green outter skin.

Sorry to hammer it out so long, but I have been only a hobby farmer for the past few years, and 2020 made me want to get better at my gardening.

Also, thank you for answering so quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you soooooo much, been down all day worried that I was going to poison my kids or myself, and that we'd just let them all mature and dry them out.

Just to follow up, if I had eaten my kidney beans last year, (cooking them as snap beans) and the bean inside was immature and white, the husk/pod would NOT of been poisonous? It is just the mature bean, and not the pod/husk/green outter skin.

Sorry to hammer it out so long, but I have been only a hobby farmer for the past few years, and 2020 made me want to get better at my gardening.

Also, thank you for answering so quickly.
That's correct

Ask a Question