Key lime germination

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hello there!

I'm completely newbie in planting but I decided recently to try my old willing to have a citrus tree. I bought 65W of Led lighting and started to find citrus seed. I was trying to buy 3-4 citrus every day for a week but didn't find any seeds! Eventually I have got one from my friend who loves to dilute his whiskey with key lime juice.

After soaking for two days I removed two seed shells. I got citrus soil, got peat cup, plant a seed and started to wait.

Week later I was depressed thinking I failed my first try. I dug it to see is it already rotted, but THERE WAS A ROOT! So I've planted it again, and now I can see it is growing, but I see young key lime plants photo in internet and realise I did it wrong as I've planted just root, not seed itself.

Please tell me should I bury seed and leave just sprouting stem over the soil or should I to let it be as it is?

111.jpg
222.jpg
333.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello there!

I'm completely newbie in planting but I decided recently to try my old willing to have a citrus tree. I bought 65W of Led lighting and started to find citrus seed. I was trying to buy 3-4 citrus every day for a week but didn't find any seeds! Eventually I have got one from my friend who loves to dilute his whiskey with key lime juice.

After soaking for two days I removed two seed shells. I got citrus soil, got peat cup, plant a seed and started to wait.

Week later I was depressed thinking I failed my first try. I dug it to see is it already rotted, but THERE WAS A ROOT! So I've planted it again, and now I can see it is growing, but I see young key lime plants photo in internet and realise I did it wrong as I've planted just root, not seed itself.

Please tell me should I bury seed and leave just sprouting stem over the soil or should I to let it be as it is?

Thanks in advance!
Since it is growing just keep it moist and give it plenty of sunshine. Newly sprouted seeds have their own nutrition so don't fertilize it until it has 2 sets of true leaves. Then fertilize it at half strength with a good liquid fertilizer. As soon as the plant has 2 sets of true leaves transplant it out of that mix it is in and place it into a good compost/potting soil. Peat has zero nutritional value. I hope you are patient because it will take 6-10 years for it to become mature enough to produce any fruit. You were very lucky that the seed germinated as most store bought limes are not ripe enough for the seeds to mature. Also, limes are extremely cold sensitive, probably more sensitive than any other citrus. I am not an artificial light gardener but I can tell you that I don't believe that 65 watts of LED lighting will be even close to how much light a lime tree will need. It is a tropical plant and needs all day full sun to be happy.

Ask a Question