Keeping deer out ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
One problem that has become abundantly clear on our property is deer like to munch on our plants. I am curious if anyone else has had to contend with this and what humane ways you kept them out. Thank you for any ideas. :)

Reaction score
I have 5ft fence around my garden but it isn't a 100% deterrent but what I think really helps is tying tin pie pans so they smack the fence in the breeze , I also have a fake hawk and owl to keep others out also and a scare crow that gives me the creeps at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have found that HVLP is the only surefire way to elimate deer problems. You can get it in almost any hardware store and one application properly applied is 100% effective every time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks for the details Off Grid Dave. Is the fence electrified or just high enough to keep them out? I didn't know fake hawks would keep them away, but I will do some research on that.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
fence and pie tins for deer , hawk and owl for rabbits , squirrels , chipmunks etc.... We have black bears here also you have to yell at them and raise a ball bat at them or 30/30 if real problem. No electric , but I have a solar one from a horse I sold last year. but could use for deer . But what extra I have I will share with the few deer that come by , I wouldn't want the electric shock to keep them away , I like seeing them now and then.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have not had a problem with the deer in the yard although they are around. In some parts of the state they have started a hunting process to bring the number of the herds down because of the damage the deer are doing to the local properties.

Reaction score
Hi , Pat .... You look very young to be working in a garden . You have a fountain of youth at your place ?? hehee

Ask a Question