Kale

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Do any of you grow kale? Have any good tried and true recipes for kale? My mother-in-law grew it last year after someone told her it was really good for you. She put it in salads but the texture was a little hard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am a kale convert so I am planning to grow my own in the not so distant future. Kale is a bit tough so I like to sautee it with onions and garlic in a little olive oil. If I have them, I will also add mushrooms; sometimes I use the kale mixture to make quesadillas. I keep saying I am going to try and make kale chips, but I never get around to it.

Reaction score
Kale reduces the symptoms of my Multiple Sclerosis, and so I am a big fan of kale! I am not very well pleased with the flavor, however. When I make a kale salad I cut it up rather finely, and then I add in equal amounts of other greens. This makes it a lot easier to get it onto a fork, and it also reduces the bitter flavor! I am not a big fan of bitter.

Now that the kale in my garden is getting larger, I am considering cooking some like spinach. For some reason I do not object to the bitter flavor of cooked spinach, so this might be a good way to eat it. Speaking of which, I have not eaten my kale yet today so I am off to eat some of it!

Reaction score
I sauté my kale with olive oil, mushrooms, basil & tomatoes. then I lay it over hot grits,for breakfast. It is a little tough in comparison to other greens. I like it best cooked.

Reaction score
AH!

When I cooked mine like spinach, I also found it tougher that other greens, but I blamed the cook (myself) for that. The only greens I have eaten have either come from a can or were in a Chinese stir-fry, so I did not have a lot to compare them to. I think that tonight I will try them stir-fried, with a little soy, and mixed with other vegetables.

Reaction score
Today, with lunch, I had stir fried kale with a little soy sauce. Actually, since the kale cooked down into a smaller amount I had too MUCH soy sauce! Other than being too salty, it was very good and I will fix it that way again soon.

My family often looks at my home-raised salad additions with a suspicious eye, but they might like the kale better cooked in a stir fry as we all enjoy Chinese food more than salads. I have noticed that if it is a vegetable they love (like cherry tomatos) they are delighted when I bring them in, but if it is a vegetable that they only like (like peas) they would really rather I bought it from the store in a little plastic bag! I personally suspect that if it is store bought then they can kid themselves that the vegetable was never grown in dirt!

Ask a Question