Kale Sprouts!

Reaction score
I have two pots indoors of kale that just sprouted last night! I am super excited about it. I know they won't grow that fast considering the shorter days we have right now, but I am wondering if anyone has experience growing kale indoors at this time of year and knows about how fast I can expect them to grow.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's very much an outdoors winter veg, comes into it's own in the early part of the spring when there's not much else about :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ohh exciting :) I don't know much about it yet of course but I'm super interested in kale...I use it for so many different things, it'd be great to grow some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
DancingLady, I always get excited about new plants too:D Kale is one of my least favorite leafy greens, I hate the taste of it, but I want to plant it in my garden, because I read that it's very healthy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If the temperature is right, they'll grow pretty quickly.
It's a case of how you want them to grow.
If you want really lush and soft, give them good heat and reasonable light.
If you want as much flavour as possible and are willing to sacrifice bulk, put them in the brightest coolest place in the house.
Since you're probably still getting 10 hours of daylight there (we're getting about 6.5 here in Cheshire) they should do well.
Get them outside whilst you can.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never thought about starting kale indoors, but it seems like they would do really well given the proper amount of sunlight. Kale does really well outside during the winter, I do find it needs to be covered with plastic when it is in the 20's and below or it can kill it off. It's so nice to be able to pick fresh greens from the garden all year long!

Ask a Question