Kale & Spinach survived winter zone 5

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I covered Kale and Spinach and they made it through a rough winter! Why is no one else doing this? I also got parsley through winter covered. My carrots always make it. Is taste not as good? Kale and Spinach want to bolt, I am cutting off flowers but going strong.

Reaction score
I used to do this, but sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not work. It works best when the winter stays cold: when it alternately gets warm and then cold again it is hard on the plants.

Parsley winters over beautifully, but it also goes to seed the second year and so you have to plant it again every other year.

I put a potted banana tree into the ground this spring: if I get a shoot at the base of the plant (The shoot is called a "pup") I will bring the shoot inside for the winter and try mulching the big tree. The banana variety is "Mekong Giant", and nobody is sure how frost hardy it is. I would like to find out, but only if I can pot up a pup first! Here in zone 5 the selection of banana varieties is sharply limited: I got this "Mekong Giant" as a pup from an on-line friend a few hundred miles south of me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I was shocked to find parsnips overwintered. At first I was worried they were weeds then quickly realized, no weeds do not grow in a tidy row!

They're now dehaired, blanched and in the freezer for the next time I get out the pressure cooker to make stew.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I never would have guessed that in such a cold climate! You mean you covered them for winter (with what?) then in spring they started growing again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yup. Too cool, er cold as it is. Now, I have kale seedlings started, but no idea what to do with them should I get to harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yup. Too cool, er cold as it is. Now, I have kale seedlings started, but no idea what to do with them should I get to harvest.

I've already planted some kale, and Swiss chard too...I do love my greens. :) Had chard and mustard greens last year but after our record-breaking cold winter, no sign of them surviving. I always figured they were strictly annuals in zones 5-6.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ooòhh, I have swiss chard started too, the colourful one.

will look for suggestions in the morning. Been up since 4 am ish today trying to fight the frost. ..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ooòhh, I have swiss chard started too, the colourful one.

You'll love it. I've grown it for the last two years and four plants produce way more than I can eat (I also give a lot away) and they also survived several fall frosts. Was the last veggie to succumb to frost last fall. Rainbow chard is tough and prolific, and sweeter than the "regular" chard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
You'll love it. I've grown it for the last two years and four plants produce way more than I can eat (I also give a lot away) and they also survived several fall frosts. Was the last veggie to succumb to frost last fall. Rainbow chard is tough and prolific, and sweeter than the "regular" chard
But how does one eat it? Going there,never done it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
But how does one eat it? Going there,never done it!

Oh let me count the ways. LOL!
Best thing is to just google recipes for greens or chard.
Some of my favourites: stir-fried with bacon and a dash of vinegar. Casserole with sweet potatoes and sausage. In fritatta with rosemary and lots of cheese. In soup. In meatloaf. In fruit smoothies (no, really). Whipped in with mashed potatoes. Saag paneer, yum. Creamed. Stewed with tomatoes. Stewed with beef. Stewed with any sort of meat and appropriate spices. In coconut milk with fish and bell peppers. With lentils. With rice. With any grain. With any meat. In a salad.
Thousands and thousands of ways to cook greens. Chard is one of the better, more "neutral" ones.

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I covered with a homemade cold frame, just to keep snow off. Yes it grew like crazy, I have HUGE spinach plants now. 18" tall and 18" wide, bolting loike crazy but still cool.

Carrots always make it through and I always leave some for spring and pick at will (uncovered). They all try to bolt asap but worth it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
[QUOTEI

Beth_B, post: 54861, member: 2144"]Oh let me count the ways. LOL!
Best thing is to just google recipes for greens or chard.
Some of my favourites: stir-fried with bacon and a dash of vinegar. Casserole with sweet potatoes and sausage. In fritatta with rosemary and lots of cheese. In soup. In meatloaf. In fruit smoothies (no, really). Whipped in with mashed potatoes. Saag paneer, yum. Creamed. Stewed with tomatoes. Stewed with beef. Stewed with any sort of meat and appropriate spices. In coconut milk with fish and bell peppers. With lentils. With rice. With any grain. With any meat. In a salad.
Thousands and thousands of ways to cook greens. Chard is one of the better, more "neutral" ones.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'm in!

going to try a raw munch first, then go from there.

many thanks!

Ask a Question