Kale Experts!!! HELP :(

J-J

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been trying to grow kale in my aerogarden for a month now. At first it seemed fine but as it matured and leaves got bigger I noticed these little "bumps" on many leaves. I trimmed off all leaves with bumps to see if it would grow back healthy. No luck. These things keep coming back. None of my other lettuces have this problem and are being grown in the same aerogarden. It can't be a bug it's winter and -30° here in Canada... what to do.

Attachments

• 20170202_175137.jpg
    20170202_175137.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like thrips to me. In many cases the thrips are already gone by the time the damage is visible About the only thing you can do is have a spray regimen of.spinosad every 10 days. What leads me to come to this conclusion is the major damage is only on the old foliage and very minor damage on the young foliage. What you have to do to keep the reproductive cycle down is to have a spray regimen of something that will kill them and spinosad is organic and will take care of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
They are the yellow dots, right? My kale has some too. I haven't thought much about it. Good think I sprayed them with spinosad today!

J-J

Reaction score
Country
Canada
They are the yellow dots, right? My kale has some too. I haven't thought much about it. Good think I sprayed them with spinosad today!

Yes they are yellowish bumps..
I wouldn't eat it or feed it to the rabbit.:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Also, I'm pretty sure thrips and other bad insects like to feed on the newly formed leaves, which pits case in point on why the new leaves look that way too!

I'll take some photos of my kale to show you that you aren't alone! We'll fight those pesky thrips together !(y)

Ask a Question