Kalanchoe disease

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi,

My kalanchoe has been having an issue for many months.

Some holes are appearing on the leaves, other leaves start to turn yellow and they fall after a while.

But the worst is when at the edge of the leaves some weird dots appear, and sometimes with black spots. Maybe it's black mold, but this is the first time I'm seeing this on a plant, so I don't know what to do.

Here are some pics so you can have a look.

IMG-20230323-150544.jpg

IMG-20230323-150525.jpg

IMG-20230323-150516.jpg

IMG-20230323-150443.jpg

We are watering the plan when it's dry, which happens every 2-4 days. And just a little bit (1/3 of a glass)

And by the way, I am manually removing the black things, but the dots can't be removed. They are part of the plant...

We have been spraying the plant with a little bit of vinegar (mixed with water) on the leaves. As we have heard this usually kills mold or disease. The plant is still alive and growing new leaves and flowers but.. the disease is still there .

Any help please?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know about vinegar killing mold but it doesn't take as much vinegar as you might think to lower the pH of the water to be real acidic. It might be burning your leaves. It doesn't sound like the vinegar is working anyways. I'd quit that and try spraying it with 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide and 4 parts water. The leaves will still look damaged but maybe it will kill the mold you speak of.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only just saw your post. We are all busy people, and do not wait for your questions to come in. We have our own jobs to do as well.
The first thing to do is stop using vinegar. That will kill your plant for sure. Check the roots to make sure there is no root rot, and then look carefully on the leaves to see what insect or insects you can find. There might be mould present, but mould will not chew holes through the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've given your plant some more thought. Something seems definitely to have eaten through leaves on it, and this will often let in fungal spores. Your plant seems to show powdery mildew as well as the black spots you mentioned. A further assault from vinegar may indicate that it will not pull through, especially as you say it has been suffering like this for many months. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I have checked the entire plant for the latest 2 months and I can't see any bug at all... And there are no roots rot, at least the ones at the top. Should I try to go more deep?

I'm going to stop using the vinegar if that's bad... But the plant had a very similar aspect before using vinegar. Perhaps the only difference now is that there are flowers and has grown quite a lot. But the dots at the edges of the leaves, the small holes at the top of the leaves, the yellow leaves, and the black mold is still there as you can see.

I'm going to try to use the hydrogen peroxide. But anything else I can use?
Do you recommend any specific product?

But I guess it's very difficult to recommend anything as there are no bugs and there is nothing really clear.

I've checked around internet for weeks to find anything similar on kaloncheas and I didn't have much luck hence I tried here.

I would like to buy more kaloncheas but we had another 2 and they died.
I guess whatever they had the others was transfered to the 3rd one...
It can be potentially that they didn't have enough sun. We had them on an inner patio and we moved the current one many months ago to the balconee and she seems quite happy.

The other 2 only lasted a few months (we bought them 13 months ago), and this one is lasting almost a year. So it seems super strong even with the problem.

By the way, we have lots more plants on the balconee and they doesn't seem to be affected. But I'm a little bit concerned that at some point they can get the same problem.

But I don't want to throw it away... When it's still alive and quite happy...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have never heard of using hydrogen peroxide. We use fungicide for fungal problems.
It might be alive, but not happy. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fungicides here don't kill fungi. They are a preventant. At least as far as the ones I know of. If there is, I would like to know the name of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use sulphur or cinnamon. There are named fungicides we can get, but I don't expect you could get the same ones there.
I know @zigs uses sulphur a lot on his cactus collection.

Ask a Question