K! I want to branch out to herbs! How do I start?

Reaction score
What do you recommend? I want to grow as many food ingredients as possible this year. I plan on trying garlic, chives, parsley -- what else? How? When? What? :)

Reaction score
One of my favorite herbs is oregano. When it is fresh it is AWESOME in pizza! I use a lot because the fresh herb is milder than the dried.

My oregano plant grows to be one foot tall, and it is very hardy. Mine has survived -20 Fahrenheit, However, the plant is not very dense and so I believe that competing weeds could smother it. I weed my oregano every now and then, and it is doing fine!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How about mint? It's a wonderful herb. If you want to plant it in your garden, be careful, because it grows like crazy:)
Basil and thyme would be great choices too.

Reaction score
Yum! Definitely oregano - as an Italian, I have to! :)

Mint sounds great! I wonder if I could do it in a pot? Otherwise, I have a large yard and could designate it's own spot. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
By all means keep mint in a pot!!!! Mint is very invasive and there is no way you could designate a spot for it and have it stay there! (This is the voice of a sadder but wiser mint grower).
Basil definitely, and thyme. If you want a rosemary plant, which is actually a shrub, would be a nice addition. Read up on garlic. Here in Texas we plant in the fall and harvest in the late spring (Oct. to June in the ground) and then it needs to be dried.
I like winter savory, and lavender for its scent, and for the edible flowers.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am far from an experienced green-thumb, but I can grow basil and mint quite easily! They don't need much more than some sunlight and regular watering. Not to mention they have tons of uses in the culinary world. I'd definitely include those two in your starter kit!

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll do that! I definitely have to do research. I can grow normal veggies just fine, but I never tried herbs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
JS, herbs are easier than vegetables to grow. Just don't overwater (wait until the soil is dry 1" down, since many of our culinary herbs come from Mediterranean hillsides with poor soil and great drainage), don't fertilize (which causes lush growth and less flavor), and clip and harvest frequently to keep your herbs in bounds and bushy rather than straggly.
You're going to love your herbs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
Basil is definitely one of the easiest to grow and one of the tastiest in my opinion! I plant mine in a pot and just water when it gets too dry. If you keep picking it then it will get bigger and bushier. I prefer to plant a bunch then cut it all down before winter and dry it. Sometimes I'll pick it and dry it as I go.

Rosemary is also very easy! I also keep mine in a pot so I can bring it in over winter. Just don't start it from seed! It's a pain to grow that way. You're best off buying one from the store to start off with.

Chives are also easy to grow but be careful where you plant them! They seem to come back for years. We planted some in the wrong spot and can't get rid of them now. It's not in a bad place really, but we decided to plant flowers there now, so we have chives and flowers. I'd suggest also putting that one in a pot.

I've never grown mint, but if you do make sure you absolutely keep it in a pot. It goes crazy and takes over everything.

In general, I put all my herbs in pots. :LOL:

Ask a Question