Just to do something different this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I am going to actually get my soil tested. It doesn't cost us anything here and I happen to drive by one of the places where they test everyday, just never got around to it before.

Here in the US they also (at least for my area) have soil maps that suggest soil type and good and bad things about it (water absorbtion runoff acid ETC ) . Mine isn't really good so I'll have to wait and see what the place may suggest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I bought a test kit like this one. I've used it a few times and overall I think it's accurate, but only having a professional test would prove that I guess. It actually a fun little exercise - science experiment.

The most interesting thing that it has suggested is that with the 2 old small raised bed areas (6'x6') I have (1 for sweet pea flowers and 1 for tomatoes, peppers, beans or peas) they are deficiency in Potassium. From what I understand that could be a result of using the same area with the same crop or plant over and over. The output of these little raised bed has diminished over the last couple years.

I've been treating with Muriate of Potash this year, but not !00% if it's helping.There wasn't a lot of info on line on how to treat potassium deficiency in garden soil really. I'm also making an effort to improve the soil nutrients available to the plants overall in the vegetable area via some drip irrigation fertilization. I was late on the sweet peas, but I do have some tomatoes and all in and they seem to be doing better so far this year so we'll have to see.

I would appreciate your posting back the results, did they test 1 area or more, how comprehensive the test were (did they do more than just NPK), how much they cost... Very interested to see how it goes for you, I would like to do the same some time soon.

1662_testing_kit_L.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our yard has not been taken care of over the years and I am sure it needs to have some nutrients added to help the grass grow better. The back has 5 very large trees and only allows moss to grow in the back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Only a week + 2 days or so and got the results back, not what I expected (good thing). Lets see if results and suggestions cut and paste into here well:

SOIL TEXTURE Sandy Loam

ORGANIC MATTER Medium High

pH 6.4

NITRATE NITROGEN Medium High (12 ppm)

AMMONIUM NITROGEN Medium (35 ppm)

PHOSPHORUS Very High (>100 ppm)

POTASSIUM Very High (>250 ppm)

CALCIUM Very High (>1600 ppm)

MAGNESIUM Very High (>125 ppm)

SUGGESTED TREATMENTS IN POUNDS PER 1000 SQUARE FEET

Limestone

pH ADJUSTMENT 50 lbs.

10-0-10,Preplant

FERTILIZER GRADE 10-10-10,July

FERTILIZER AMOUNT 20 lbs,Preplant

10 lbs,July

Remarks:

ppm (parts per million) values are approximate.

Work 1-3 inches of compost or other organic materials into the soil to improve gardens.

10-0-10 fertilizer is suggested when phosphorus levels are high. This fertilizer may be difficult to find. Similar

fertilizers may be substituted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
That soil is ready to go, I wouldn't add anything other than organic matter, and even then, only if you have some ready.
Plants will be bursting out of it, it's in top condition.

Ask a Question