Just Moved To Different Zone

Reaction score
Country
India
Hey All,

I'm a succulent lover and recently I moved to a different place which is very dry and hot (45 °Celsius). Does it affect my succulent gardening?

TIA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, welcome to the forum.
That's really hot, we are having a bit of a heat wave at the moment and they keep telling us that it might pass 38, the UK record. I can say that when I visited Marrakesh in Morocco I saw the same succulents growing outdoors that grow in my greenhouse, I would have thought it the sort of conditions that succulents are built for, but I don't know for sure, and there may be some and some.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes if growing outdoors you will probably need to provide shade for them. Really depends on which succulents though as succulent covers a wide range of plants from different habitats and climates.
For example Sempervivum and Sedums can be described as succulents, but they wouldn't survive in the conditions you describe.
Suggest you read up on where they come from originally and then try and replicate those conditions.

Reaction score
Country
India
Yes if growing outdoors you will probably need to provide shade for them. Really depends on which succulents though as succulent covers a wide range of plants from different habitats and climates.
For example Sempervivum and Sedums can be described as succulents, but they wouldn't survive in the conditions you describe.
Suggest you read up on where they come from originally and then try and replicate those conditions.
Yes, I noticed that my sedums(Except Burro's Tail) are doing very well but it seems worst condition for Echeveria.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hoya and my epiphyllum would just give up the ghost under the conditions you describe. Plants have different reasons for being succulents, hence the need to do the research. 45°C and dry would be too much for a number of cacti.

Reaction score
Country
India
My hoya and my epiphyllum would just give up the ghost under the conditions you describe. Plants have different reasons for being succulents, hence the need to do the research. 45°C and dry would be too much for a number of cacti.
I'm not a big fan of Cactus.

Reaction score
Country
India

Ask a Question