Just got my first Kniphofia

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had no idea this plant even existed, until hubby bought it last night. I tried reading up online to learn how to best care for it, but I still have so many questions...I'm in zone 5- 5b, should I plant it in the sun or partial shade? Plant in the ground or in a pot? Does it attract hummingbirds or butterfly? Does it have a fragrance?
Do many of you grow this plant?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have a love hate relationship with kniphorfia. I love seeing them standing upright architecturally on a hillside in the blazing heat and yet when I grew them, tons of snails sought refuge in their thick and luxuriant leaves. So I got rid of them. Then, I missed them and bought them again. With the onslaught of tons of snails, I got rid of them again. These big red pokers tend to grow into a massive heap and are heavens for snails. They can withstand heat and drought.

But now there are a smaller and more delicate version. Some say some of them will be very happy next to water. Think you need to find out the sub/species you have and unfortunately, no perfume at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you @alp I guess I should keep some beer handy just in case the slugs (never seen a snail here) show up.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have now got this one, lemon popsicle

upload_2018-3-23_7-1-51.jpeg

This could take a bit of water and the leaves are not so thick and hence the risk of being a haven to snails is much reduced.

I used to have this one

Opera Snapshot_2018-03-23_070701_www.google.co.uk.png

See the leaves - a magnet for snails.

Glad that you have no snails. You don't want any of them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have the yellow and orange one, hopefully it's one of the smaller ones
smpraying.gif

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope the following is useful to you. Specifically for Lemon popsicle

WHERE TO GROW
Kniphofia 'Lemon Popsicle' (Popsicle Series) (Red hot poker 'Lemon Popsicle') will reach a height of 0.4m and a spread of 0.5m after 2-5 years.

Suggested uses
Mediterranean, Low Maintenance, Flower Arranging, Cottage/Informal, Coastal, City, Beds and borders, Architectural, Wildlife

Cultivation
Plant in fertile, loam or sandy soil enriched with humus. Dislikes chalky soils. Best in full sun but will tolerate partial shade, although flowering is reduced. Protect with a dry winter mulch in cold areas. Does not tolerate wet winter conditions.

Soil type
Loamy, Sandy

Soil drainage
Moist but well-drained, Well-drained

Soil pH
Acid, Neutral

Light
Full Sun

Aspect
South, West

Exposure
Exposed, Sheltered