Just an Easy Fix

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I decided that the tiny speakers in my jukebox wallbox in my "office" weren't doing justice to the vintage Rotel tuner/amp I bought recently.
They were OK with the little amplifier I was using before.
They were really only designed to be heard in diner booths after customers had selected recordings, as "back up" to the sound from a full sized jukebox nearby.
So I decided to get some new bookcase speakers. The ones I selected would fit neatly either side of the Rotel.

So just a case of going from this.

P1040773.jpg

To this.

P1040808.JPG

Wrong!

The speakers arrived early yesterday afternoon.

When I ordered them, the measurements given by the vendor, I thought were for the speakers plus their cabinets.
No it wasn't, it was just the size of the speakers in the cabinets, so they wouldn't fit in. I needed about another three inches.

No problem, I'll just go down to the local woodyard and get them to cut me a longer piece of Contiplas..

Wrong!

They were closed, because of Covid, it was just "click & collect." That'd take days.
Nil desperandum, I'll have a look in Homebase. They had some shelving the right width but longer than I needed, for ten quid, so it would need cutting down, easy enough with a handsaw on my workbench in the garage .

Wrong!

I had to fight my way round all the naffin' furniture that we're storing for our youngest son and his partner from their other house they've just sold. The house they now live in "out in the country..." alright..Hayfield... has no garage. So we've been lumbered with, how long for? I don't know!

Anyway, it was just a question once I'd cut it to length, to put in all the notches for the brackets that support the shelves above and and the cut-outs for the cables, plus swopping over the stick-on LED spotlights and the on/off switch for the wall box lights. So not a lot! much!
More of the shelving above had to be dismantled so I could drill some holes in the shelf above the bottom shelf to re-attach the side supports.
But at least it's done and I'm pleased with the new sound. The wall box will stay as it has essential phone numbers in it, rather than title cards for records.

Give my wife her due, When I said I needed to go out to get some more shelving, all she said was "Right." She knows me of old, when I want something done, I do it right away when possible. Finished about 5.00pm last night.

It has it's upside, when she said she'd like the kitchen re-decorated, I'd got it done and dusted within a few days.

Last edited:

Ask a Question