Juniper balls from seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hey All!

I'm brand new to this thread so I guess I may as well start it off with something weird. I'm really interested in creating something like what's pictured in the attached photos. I bought these seeds from eBay which included these photos. Is this possible, mainly the "juniper balls" that appear as though they've sprung up from the sidewalk? I imagine this is a lot of practice, luck, and knowledge of pruning. I was really surprised to search info on starting juniper from seeds and seeing much different-looking plants.

I believe I'm supposed to sprout the seeds in a wet paper towel and then plant in peat moss, but that's about all I know, if that's even accurate. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2766.PNG
    IMG_2766.PNG
    283.7 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2767.PNG
    IMG_2767.PNG
    249 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_2821.jpg
    IMG_2821.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 369
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Is it just me, or does that look more like buxus than juniper...? Juniper tends to have a shaggier look when pruned into topiary. So I guess my advice would be to get some buxus seeds! :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States

Is it just me, or does that look more like buxus than juniper...? Juniper tends to have a shaggier look when pruned into topiary. So I guess my advice would be to get some buxus seeds! :whistle:

Hi Becky! Thanks! To clarify, the pictures of the "juniper balls" are just what was shown on the eBay page when I bought the seeds. I bought the seeds, which have no instructions, and I'm wondering what the seeds are and how to start them. I contacted the eBay seller, and they didn't have info about the seeds and what they were. So I guess I'm wondering what the seeds are, how to start them, and if it's possible to prune them to look like the photos.

Are you saying Buxus seeds seem more likely to look like the two plant photos?

What do you mean by "pruned into topiary?"

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States

Also, I looked up "Buxus Balls" and I agree, that those photos look like Buxus. I'll definitely look into working with buxus. Is it easier to grow than juniper?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What do you mean by "pruned into topiary?"

Topiary is the practice of clipping (pruning) shrubs or trees into ornamental shapes. It can be a simpler shape, like balls or spirals:

th

Or it can be more complex shapes, like animals:

th
th

th
th

Or even people:

th
th

It is also topiary if it is grown on a form.

th
b5a129c07526558df167a51fa6eadae8.jpg

Which leaves me wondering if Chia pets are technically topiary...? :unsure: :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Also, I looked up "Buxus Balls" and I agree, that those photos look like Buxus. I'll definitely look into working with buxus. Is it easier to grow than juniper?

There are many different varieties of juniper, some grow massive. I have no idea which variety you have, but I can tell from the font of the writing on the packet that it came from China ;)

Buxus and juniper are both fairly easy, but don't expect to see any results quickly. If you want to make those pruned balls then I'd go with buxus, but it will take years to get something that looks like that. I'm not trying to discourage you, just manage your expectations.

Where are you thinking of planting them? What are the conditions like there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
There are many different varieties of juniper, some grow massive. I have no idea which variety you have, but I can tell from the font of the writing on the packet that it came from China ;)

Buxus and juniper are both fairly easy, but don't expect to see any results quickly. If you want to make those pruned balls then I'd go with buxus, but it will take years to get something that looks like that. I'm not trying to discourage you, just manage your expectations.

Where are you thinking of planting them? What are the conditions like there?

Becky, I definitely appreciate your honesty. I figured I was buying something imported and might not get much info from the seller if any. I'm pretty reasonable and didn't have huge expectations for this project. I appreciate honest advice over false hope. Not discouraged. I'll experiment with them and if something grows...cool!

I live in LA and will start these indoors. I can manipulate the environment to some extent, or transfer starters to a greenhouse. However if it's more trouble than it' worth, it might not be a project I put a ton of energy into.

Apartment in LA. Years to achieve anything resembling photos that interested me. If it's a bust, it's a bust, you know?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The fact that you're in LA may actually be a good thing for buxus - here in the UK where it's cool and damp they are at risk of something called 'box blight' which is a fungus that kills buxus. I would have thought in the warm dry environment in California it won't pose too much of a risk (y)

Ask a Question