Joshua trees - gatekeepers of the high desert

Reaction score
I love the high desert and the beauty of the cactus and joshua trees. Although I actually got a small garden to grow in an abandoned cinder block fire pit at a friends ranch, I could not get over the joshua trees. I am going to share a picture I took when a sudden desert rain came and left.
DesertRainbow.jpg

Reaction score
I love Joshua trees as well, justusforus. They are amazing looking, especially striking because of the stark landscape they inhabit. Thanks for sharing the photo

Reaction score
I love Joshua trees as well, justusforus. They are amazing looking, especially striking because of the stark landscape they inhabit. Thanks for sharing the photo
You are welcome. You don't think of landscape when people live out in areas like this, but this is where I got quite a few of my cactus cuttings. The locals plant beutiful borders of cacti near fences to keep the coyotes from digging under the fence. They also put in trees to create shade. The joshua trees seem to just have always been there, but you are right, even in an uninhabited area they are striking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen a tree like this. In my area, there are no deserts, so all plants that grow there seem very unique to me. I find them really interesting. Thank you for sharing the picture!:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Before I saw the picture, I only knew it as an album by U2 :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Before I saw the picture, I only knew it as an album by U2 :D
You and me both, zigs.
I love the high desert and the beauty of the cactus and joshua trees. Although I actually got a small garden to grow in an abandoned cinder block fire pit at a friends ranch, I could not get over the joshua trees. I am going to share a picture I took when a sudden desert rain came and left.View attachment 977
This is such a lovely tree and one I never would have seen without your post. thanks so much for sharing the beauty found in the desert:)

Reaction score
I live in a desertic zone, but I didn't know how those trees were called. They're quite common over here, and grow like a plague. They give some aesthetic value to the desert :D They look better than the nopal cactus, in my opinion.

Ask a Question