Japanese maple

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought my first Japanese maple about a month ago. Its looking good so far and I noticed some new branches growing. Well my concern is that the new leaves on the new branches are red and not green like the rest of the tree. Should I be worried or is this normal?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about some close up photos? Is it grafted or raised from seed please?

Don't know if this is relevant. If you see green leaves on variegated trees, it is most important to remove the green bits as they have more chlorophyl and if left on, the whole plant can revert to green. Logically, you probably don't need to worry. But if is grafted, it could have been grated on a tree stem originally with red leaves and stems. My observation only. I could be very, very wrong. If you don't want them, please remove them.

Before that, it would be nice to see some pics of your lovely Japanese acer!

Reaction score
Country
United States
4FC22DDA-68AC-4F5A-98B9-7653599E02AD.jpeg
4FC22DDA-68AC-4F5A-98B9-7653599E02AD.jpeg
How about some close up photos? Is it grafted or raised from seed please?

Don't know if this is relevant. If you see green leaves on variegated trees, it is most important to remove the green bits as they have more chlorophyl and if left on, the whole plant can revert to green. Logically, you probably don't need to worry. But if is grafted, it could have been grated on a tree stem originally with red leaves and stems. My observation only. I could be very, very wrong. If you don't want them, please remove them.

Before that, it would be nice to see some pics of your lovely Japanese acer!

Attachments

• 83E7B233-57D5-47DC-BF21-B5B6608F139B.jpeg
    83E7B233-57D5-47DC-BF21-B5B6608F139B.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 311

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could you please follow that alien branch and photograph where this branch joins the main stem and also see if you can photograph a graft point in the tree please?

grafts look like this

stock-photo-tree-s-cleft-grafting-methods-112487300.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As @DrCase said, your plant actually good healthy. If you don't like the red bit, you could remove it. Still can see if it is grafted, so can't tell is there is reversion. Actually, it look very nice like this; but perhaps, you're a purist!:LOL:

Ask a Question