Japanese maple

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello
I recently planted a emperor 1 Japanese maple(10 days ago). I'm noticing a lot of dried leaves. I was watering every day which is prob too much and I was letting a sprinkler spray water on it which I also know is not good.
My question is if I am stressing the tree out too much and can it make a recovery from such an early on stressor? Or would it be better to place in a pot for a while? I planted it in a spot on the edge of a oak tree so it gets some shade but a lot more sun then I expected. I could dig it up and plant under the shade more.
I'm just looking for some advice. Thank you all

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't overwater or under water. Is it in a pot or planted in the ground? Could you upload a pic please?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased it from a nursery in a pot. I removed it when I planted it in the ground.
I believe it might be stress from re planting. I'm just observing it now and hoping for the best. It might be too much sun but emperor 1 are supposed to tolerate the sun. But if I stressed it out when planting it I assume this would cause what I'm seeing

Thanks for the reply

Attachments

• IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 661

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When you choose a spot for acer, it might be a good idea to make sure it is not west facing or a place with too much sun or wind as it will suffer from wind and sun scorch and the stress will show on the edges of the leaves, - dry and and yellow. Do you think it is in the right spot? It might be a good idea to find a place where it can enjoy cool roots. They like ericaceous soil, but it's not a must. Free draining and woodlandy soil is best.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It gets shade all morning up to about 1 then it gets sun for 4 or so. It looks worse today. So hypothetically, if all of the leaves dry up, which if appears to be doing, should new leaves sprout out? Would I stress it out to much if I moved it? Should I just leave it alone and see what happens? I planned on planting another jap maple I didn't expect the one I have to do this. I really think its a transplant shock and me not paying attention to it. I think I was watering it too much, that combined w a lot of sun and rain jas wind lately. I don't know what to do. At this point I should prob just let it stay if it does completely well then so be it? I just got this landscaping done and I like the jap maples so this sucks. I'll prob buy one more this weekend and plant it

Attachments

• IMG_2427.JPG
    IMG_2427.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 274

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you think the tree is lost, move it to a place where it gets morning sun and sheltered from strong winds. Dry curled leaves can also be caused by underwatering and waterlogging.

Have a look here

What is acer leaf scorch?
Leaf scorch rarely causes long-term damage, but it can leave an affected tree unsightly for the remainder of the growing season. Scorch happens whenever water is lost from the leaves more quickly than the roots can take it up. A wide range of environmental factors can cause this such as frost, drought including under-watering, waterlogging, drying winds, hot sun and even salt-laden winds in coastal areas.

Symptoms

The foliage on affected trees turns brown, particularly around the tips and margins. It is often followed by the leaves curling and shrivelling. In some cases whole leaves can become entirely crispy and there may be some minor die-back of branches.

While Japanese maples are most commonly affected, other maples such as Acer pseudoplatanus ‘Brilliantissimum’ and Acer platanoides 'Drummondii' may also suffer from leaf scorch.

Control

Avoiding leaf scorch
  • Choose a sheltered spot protected from strong, midday sunshine
  • Plant in moisture-retentive but well-drained soil
  • Avoid planting in wet soils or on sites that are prone to drying out
  • Use a soil-based compost such as John Innes No 2 if planting in containers
  • Don’t feed too early or too late in the season (don’t feed between November and March). Avoid over application of high nitrogen fertilisers
  • Keep new specimens and container-grown plants well watered
  • Mulch around the base of trees growing in the ground with organic matter, such as garden compost, to help retain moisture. Make sure the mulch is kept away from the trunk of the plant
  • Mulch the surface of the compost in containers with gravel or slate, again to retain moisture
  • If frost is forecast when the leaves are newly emerged, move container plants to a sheltered spot or frost-free area and cover plants in the ground with a double layer of fleece
  • In very windy weather, a temporary windbreak is a worthwhile – formed by stretching a screen of wind-reduction netting between canes

Dealing with acer leaf scorch

• If leaves of container-grown plants become scorched, move the pot to a more sheltered position
  • Removing affected leaves is usually impractical. Badly affected foliage may drop of its own accord and remember that all the leaves will be shed in the autumn regardless
  • Move young plants that are in the wrong position, lifting them between October and March when the soil is not frozen or waterlogged
  • Prune out dead shoots between late summer and mid-winter. Pruning at other times may lead to bleeding.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=591

Have a look around the branches and look out for new shoots. As long as there are new shoots and they form leaves, you should be OK.

Incorporate some perlite or grit into the soil. Acer likes it moist, cool and free-draining. Make sure it has morning sun, not afternoon sun or strong wind.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen leaf loss & scorching on Maples from all the above reasons. It can be vary difficult to identify the reason behind it.The best Advice I can give is don't overhead water only water the roots. You may of damaged the root system when planting also. I cant see there being a problem with overwatering this time of year as it is in the ground and it should not water log as the ground should not be flooded as much as it will just disperse the water it cant absorb to the surrounding ground A little fish and bone top dressed if you have not feed it my help. Don't keep moving it at this stage. Just water as needed & a little feed for the roots. If it is wind damage or sun scorching you may have to move it but wait till next winter when you will stress it less. Personally from the photos Id say it just got stressed during planting as you have shad from that large Oak and shelter from wind plus ground looks fine.....Good luck

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Daren is right. Best is not to move it now and see how it's behaving from now on. Check for new shoots.. I would shield the roots from strong sun. But I'm not a proper gardener!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok. Thanks. I'll let it be. I was hoping the leaf burn was only going to affect some and not worsen. I'll take you all's advice and let if be. Thanks again for all of the responses

Ask a Question