Japanese Maple issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new here and have a question.I started noticing some bare spots in my Crimson Queen Japanese Maple this spring. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if I have an issue. This is a large specimen and looks to have been here for many years. I've lived here for 4 years and have never pruned it out of fear that I might do something wrong. I have done some reading and am hoping it's not verticillium wilt. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    459.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_3665.JPG
    IMG_3665.JPG
    510.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    392.6 KB · Views: 358
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new here and have a question.I started noticing some bare spots in my Crimson Queen Japanese Maple this spring. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if I have an issue. This is a large specimen and looks to have been here for many years. I've lived here for 4 years and have never pruned it out of fear that I might do something wrong. I have done some reading and am hoping it's not verticillium wilt. Any ideas?
I may be wrong but that looks like powdery mildew to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it's mildew, would pruning the tree help by giving it more room to breathe? It looks very dense. Not sure if you can even prune it this time of year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your replies. We have had tons and tons of rain this spring. More so than usual. It has gotten a lot of water. It has been raining about every two days, good soaking rains. Almost flooded during a few hard rains over the past month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That might be a cause for mildew, then. I'm in mid Michigan and we've had a ton of rain this past month.

Ask a Question