JALAPENO TROUBLE

Tim

Reaction score
I am having some issues with jalapenos. I did not start them inside as they were a late plant. they were placed into our little gardening area alongside tomatoes with cucumbers away on the other side near the cantaloupe. It has been over 2 weeks since the planting. the tomatoes and cucumbers are doing great but the jalapenos are yet to sprout from the earth. any help would be great.
I planted them about 3/4 inch deep and only watered about every other day. i have read that sometimes it could take upwards of 3 weeks. i have never grown Jalapenos (or anything else) before and i am lost as to what steps to take to ensure a good growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am having some issues with jalapenos. I did not start them inside as they were a late plant. they were placed into our little gardening area alongside tomatoes with cucumbers away on the other side near the cantaloupe. It has been over 2 weeks since the planting. the tomatoes and cucumbers are doing great but the jalapenos are yet to sprout from the earth. any help would be great.
I planted them about 3/4 inch deep and only watered about every other day. i have read that sometimes it could take upwards of 3 weeks. i have never grown Jalapenos (or anything else) before and i am lost as to what steps to take to ensure a good growth.

Sometimes peppers take a little longer and they also like a warmer soil temperature. Also 3/4" is too deep. 1/2" -1/4" is better. Normally it takes about 17 days depending on how warm it is for hot peppers to sprout, at here in Texas it does.

Reaction score
In Connecticut my peppers always start later than the tomatoes and I often plant them later so the soil will warm up more before I do. They seem happier when I take that approach.

Tim

Reaction score
i was just curious. i have them in a spot where they get constant sunlight and we have had really nice weather since the planting. ill give it some more time and let everyone know what comes of them. thanks so much for the replies.

Tim

Reaction score
on another topic, my wife just gave me some seeds she obtained from a nice bearing green bell pepper. my question is this, i have seen online that some say to dry the seeds while others say that they can go into a planting pot now. have any of you ever did this and if so, what is the best method to take to ensure plant growth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
on another topic, my wife just gave me some seeds she obtained from a nice bearing green bell pepper. my question is this, i have seen online that some say to dry the seeds while others say that they can go into a planting pot now. have any of you ever did this and if so, what is the best method to take to ensure plant growth?
In my experience seeds should be dried. I have tried to plant fresh seeds and they molded. Mother Nature doesn't drop green seeds or even damp seeds. Bell pepper seeds should be from mature peppers and I do not know of any bell peppers that are mature when green, they are always either gold or red or purple.

Reaction score
Well I hope you have better luck growing them then I did. I started them off inside as I did most of my plants and they were growing strong, the moment I put them in my garden it was like mother nature wanted them to die. The leaves turned yellow and then fell off, and usually that is caused by too much water, but I only water my garden like once every two days, I should just try again because it is said that if you don't succeed once, you should keep trying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well I hope you have better luck growing them then I did. I started them off inside as I did most of my plants and they were growing strong, the moment I put them in my garden it was like mother nature wanted them to die. The leaves turned yellow and then fell off, and usually that is caused by too much water, but I only water my garden like once every two days, I should just try again because it is said that if you don't succeed once, you should keep trying.
Watering every 2 days is too much. One good soaking every 7-10 days is plenty. Stick your index finger all the way into the soil next to your plant and then blow on it. If you feel any sensation of cooling on your finger you plant does not need water at that time. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often.

Ask a Question