Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
How's this for using ivy to beautify? Saw it in Samos, Greece September 2014. I'm sure it's still growing.
image.jpg

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I work for the telephone company. Things like that can damage poles and the guy wires holding them up.

And I hate ivy anyway. It is so hard to kill and get rid of.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I agree entirely! When we first moved into this house, a mere 30 odd years ago, ivy had been planted on the brick walls of the house. It grew in under the eaves and started into the house. Shocking stuff to get rid of. I'm still pulling it out in the same spots. It's still in the garden and growing up trees so I'm on constant guard. It amazes me its is for sale. I have seen it in contained gardens and looks quite lovely but scary stuff.

Reaction score
I love ivy! But I wonder if the person who planted that didn't get in trouble when the ivy reached the other cables, hehehe! It'd look beautiful, but I'm sure it'd end up weighing down the cables. Sill very beautiful. I actually want to grow ivy in my own yard, I want to cover the fences, at least get some privacy this way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love ivy too! If I could, I'd plant it everywhere around me and I'd let it climb trees and houses. Ivy always looks so romantic, mysterious and pretty!:D It's a wonderful plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My first thoughts were "wow, I bet that's heavy!"

I do have a soft spot for ivy though, despite how damaging it can be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At first, I thought that it looks cool, but when I look at the top, I am thinking it can be dangerous once it goes into the electricity. It is one of the kind look :)

@grouie photo was extraordinary! How beautiful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My ex mother in laws house has the entire north side of it covered in ivy. She has cut it down several times, but it always comes back. It's so pretty!! She knows its going to do a bit of damage, otherwise she would keep it up. I think she's actually wanting to take It down and put some rose bushes over there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I love ivy! But I wonder if the person who planted that didn't get in trouble when the ivy reached the other cables, hehehe! It'd look beautiful, but I'm sure it'd end up weighing down the cables. Sill very beautiful. I actually want to grow ivy in my own yard, I want to cover the fences, at least get some privacy this way.
I have seen ivy grown over a fence, called a living fence, and it looks good. I just think we have to be on guard with it as it can be a problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have ivy and love it for the privacy it provides trained as hedges from 3 ft. to 8 ft tall, not more than a foot wide at its most grown out state. A hard clipping back to the wire fencing once a year provides great mulch for the garden. Planted it 30 plus years ago when it was not labeled invasive. It has been easy to remove when garden plans change, just takes a little effort and good digging and pruning tools. Am in the process of removing a 12 foot cross fence. Maybe because it is prune back so hard once a year keeps it manageable. Here is a photo looking out the front door at the front yard earlier this spring.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I work for a customer who had a lot of ivy among her flower garden on the driveway side. She asked to have more perennials planted. I dug and cut and pulled so much ivy she had numerous bags of it.

Ask a Question