Ivy Roots in floor of kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post. I have problem with ivy. We have ivy growing behind an external wall and plaster board. I have removed most of the ivy, But there is a root going into the floor.Is there anything I can use to kill the root before I put the wall back (no leaves left on the plant)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

Where's the actual root of the ivy?
You might need to dig down the side of the exterior wall to find it.
If it's an older house it might have been growing up on the outside and had been cut down iin the past. So the roots might be in more than one place.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have removed the ivy that was coming down the inside of the partion wall
There is a 6"" piece remaining, but this has rooted in the kitchen floor
Do not want to pull this out until I have killed this root, incase it grows back after I have reinstated the plaster board wall
Thanks for the reply

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings welcome to the Forums.

Use of an herbicide might have been a good choice here, though they are more effective if there are leaves on a plant when the herbicide is applied. At this point I would complete your repairs and just continue to remove all visible leaves and stems that you see. This will weaken and kill the Ivy (Hedera helix, I presume) as it won't be able to photosynthesize. The ivy stems growing in darkness under the wall, were only extensions of the growing plant outside in the light. They will not grow in darkness for long without an external source of nutrition.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings welcome to the Forums.

Use of an herbicide might have been a good choice here, though they are more effective if there are leaves on a plant when the herbicide is applied. At this point I would complete your repairs and just continue to remove all visible leaves and stems that you see. This will weaken and kill the Ivy (Hedera helix, I presume) as it won't be able to photosynthesize. The ivy stems growing in darkness under the wall, were only extensions of the growing plant outside in the light. They will not grow in darkness for long without an external source of nutrition.
Thanks for this much apprciated for this info

Ask a Question