Ivory silk lilac tree planting question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had a scheduled date to plant 2 #20 container (8ft) lilac trees. Weather isn’t ideal now. We’re looking at 2 nights of 30 degrees, planting day high of 55 low of 30, as well as the day after. And after that temps will be high of 70 and low of 40. (Live in Colorado)
I talked to the planter and if we cancel it will be another 2 wks before he can come plant.

with the weather fluctuations, and low temps of 30 on planting day and day after, is it better to wait to plant? Does it matter?

I read online they’re very hardy and can handle low temps BUT I’m specifically concerned about planting and a freshly planted tree.

any advice would be much appreciated!!! Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have a lilac tree, zone 6, been with me 10 years now. I would say, dig the hole as deep as the level of the pot, and about 3-4 inches wider around, put the tree in the hole, fill it will the soil. The earth will be warmer a few inches deeper. I trust you have not kept them in your house or "heated" garage, but kept them as the nursery had them, which I assume was outside. If they did baby the trees and had them inside, then they have not acclimated to the chilly weather, so yes wait until its above 40 for a while.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you, the trees are still at the nursery and out in the weather. They only frost blanket them at 27 degrees. Colorados weather is so unpredictable, it could warm up, or be 27. Such a tough call. If we do plant them in the cold, will their leaves fall off? I’ve noticed that happened to a neighbors crabapple trees a few weeks ago.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn`t even consider planting Lilac as big as that. I have many Lilac trees here, and they were all planted when they were much smaller and well hardened off. Smaller trees establish with much more ease....not only that they grow quite quickly.

Impatience in the garden often ends in tears. My trees have all just come through a very hard winter and are all now in bud. They have no frost protection.
The reason for your neighbours trees demise may be transplanting them when they were too big maybe???

Ask a Question