It's that time again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Starting seed-sowing today for early, undercover crops.
Basket tomatoes, which will hang from the inside of the frame of my greenhouse, & give me a cop in June.
Summer onions, harvested in August to be sown as well; 4 varieties.
Cabbage & lettuce will thrive when they go out in March, as will broad beans (fava).
Peppers & chillies never go outside, but if I want summer salsa, etc. it's time to get my finger out & get busy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Basket tomatoes, which will hang from the inside of the frame of my greenhouse, & give me a cop in June.
Cabbage & lettuce will thrive when they go out in March, as will broad beans (fava).
Peppers & chillies never go outside, but if I want summer salsa, etc. it's time to get my finger out & get busy.
I started my pepper seeds last Friday and my tomatoes yesterday. I will set these out between March 15 and April 1.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And our tomato season is over by mid July. By this time the last of the tomatoes have ripened. But, the good news is that the peppers really get going.

Don't you put out late tomatoes? I figured you would still be having fresh tomatoes up into at least mid Nov.

Sometimes depending on the room I have, I'll start the season with peppers and sometimes I put them out late like the tomatoes. The peppers still do real good when put out late. In the heat of the summer they sort of just sit there dropping their blooms so production still seems comparable to me.

I'm going to start a little over 100 Texas Grano onions in a few days or maybe next week. We are right in the middle of long day and short day varieties according to the internet but short day onions seem to work better for me.

Then next I'll start some cabbage and broccoli plants and probably plant those with my potatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't you put out late tomatoes? I figured you would still be having fresh tomatoes up into at least mid Nov.

Sometimes depending on the room I have, I'll start the season with peppers and sometimes I put them out late like the tomatoes. The peppers still do real good when put out late. In the heat of the summer they sort of just sit there dropping their blooms so production still seems comparable to me.

I'm going to start a little over 100 Texas Grano onions in a few days or maybe next week. We are right in the middle of long day and short day varieties according to the internet but short day onions seem to work better for me.

Then next I'll start some cabbage and broccoli plants and probably plant those with my potatoes.
It all depends on how lucky I feel. The weather here is so unpredictable it is basically a flip of the coin as to whether one is able to get a crop of tomatoes or not. Sometimes the first frost is late November or even early December but many many times it is early November. And to make matters worse the high nighttime temperatures during October and late September preclude any fruit set at all. Peppers, especially non-sweets for some reason do really well here during the blistering heat, probably because I heavily mulch them to keep the soil cooler underneath them, but all in all, do better in the heat than in the early season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I started my pepper seeds last Friday and my tomatoes yesterday. I will set these out between March 15 and April 1.
Tried these?

DETERMINATE beef toms!
I'm having a go this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tried these?

DETERMINATE beef toms!
I'm having a go this year!
Yes, I grew them IIRC 4 years ago. They did OK considering they are a big tomato but I have just about given up on growing really large tomatoes. It just gets too hot too soon here for them to do what they are supposed to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I'm waking up form a winter slumber too. Plan on starting onion seeds this weekend, and we may go down to the local winter festival and see a bunch of ice sculptures / carvings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Little early for me to start much of anything. Though with as mild as our weather has been I'm planning to till soon. Maybe take a long weekend in a couple weeks to till and start cabbage, broccoli and beets.

Might also start some tomatoes and peppers but need to figure out where to keep them in the house until it's warm enough outside.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I grew them IIRC 4 years ago. They did OK considering they are a big tomato but I have just about given up on growing really large tomatoes. It just gets too hot too soon here for them to do what they are supposed to.
I am trying RAF, they are a French variety, but apparently do well in Alicante in Spain, might do well in your climate?

Ask a Question