It is now April.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Even the northern states and lower Canada will for the most part be thawing totaly out this month.
To early to plant yet in the north and Canada for the most part except the hardest cold weather plants.
But it is a time to plan the garden, gather seeds and other supplies too.

It is the time to wander the woods and gather Morals and other shroons. It is the month to gather fiddle heads and ramps too.

Do not go touching the baby fawns you may find later in the month. They have not been abandoned by mom she is not far away.
[IMG]

Is the month to turkey hunt in many places. Wild turkey is very good if fixed properly taking into consideration they have not been injected with butter and other things at a processing plant.

[IMG]

No April foolin weather is about to get a bit warmer also.

:D Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here in North Carolina most of the trees are popping buds. The grass is starting to green up and the pan fish are starting to fan their nests. I have collected my Elms and Maples for this year’s bonsai and now will dig into the manure pile to spread on the garden. I love spring time but there sure is a lot to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@trail twister you gave me a laugh! I do not pursue turkey with my shotgun but I am amused because your description made me visualize myself pursuing them with butter! That would be sport! We can finally leave the pursuit of greased pigs to our friends in the UK!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here it is April 1, the supposed last day of frost and yet tomorrow the temperature here in South Texas is forecast to be 32F. My tomatoes, if they don't get frostbit will be shredded by the wind. Good thing to always sow more seeds than you think you will need. My extra plants are really leggy but better leggy than to have empty spots in the garden I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here it is April 1, the supposed last day of frost and yet tomorrow the temperature here in South Texas is forecast to be 32F. My tomatoes, if they don't get frostbit will be shredded by the wind. Good thing to always sow more seeds than you think you will need. My extra plants are really leggy but better leggy than to have empty spots in the garden I guess.
I like leggy tomato seedlings. I can bury them deeper if they are longer. I have not put mine out yet. This week I will start the garden and maybe plant this coming weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
These are very good, you can dry them, you can freeze them for later use.
The morel There are a celebration many places for them even.

1554122070863.png
1554122070863.png

Ramps are wild leeks I have been told. I have read recently that they are a highly sought food and are indanger of being over harvested in many places.
It is said people should reach down to the roots and with a sharp knife cut them off so the roots are left.
I have several huge patches in my woods and only take a few at a time from different patches.
I have also transplanted so to make more beds.

I love them just sauted in butter and any place shallots are used.
I have never tried to freeze them.
The whole plant is eatable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
These are very good, you can dry them, you can freeze them for later use.
The morel There are a celebration many places for them even.

View attachment 51433
View attachment 51433View attachment 51433

Ramps are wild leeks I have been told. I have read recently that they are a highly sought food and are indanger of being over harvested in many places.
It is said people should reach down to the roots and with a sharp knife cut them off so the roots are left.
I have several huge patches in my woods and only take a few at a time from different patches.
I have also transplanted so to make more beds.

View attachment 51446

I love them just sauted in butter and any place shallots are used.
I have never tried to freeze them.
The whole plant is eatable.

I bet they will grow in my woods. If they grow like a cast iron plant or fern it is no problemo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I bet they will grow in my woods. If they grow like a cast iron plant or fern it is no problemo.

Wishful thinking DM. I have watched people all over try to grow them but never succeed. A lot of people have gone broke trying to grow them commercialy too. Give it a try anyway. Who knows, you might hit the right combination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Here in south east Michigan we had snow on the ground Sunday morning. It is all gone now, after the 40F plus day yesterday.

Here in the northern states if it isn't to wet the farmers will start planting corn around the 20th of the month.
But I would not be planting sets in my raised beds, nor garden seeds except for the hardiest plants like snow peas for example.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Tuesday April 2 and we had a HEAVY frost last night in northern N.C. I’m glad I brought in all my hanging baskets and tropical bonsai. The only thing I have in the garden are radishes, Turnips, garlic and leeks. They all can tolerate the frost.

Ask a Question