Is worth it to buy plant buds

Reaction score
Hi I purchased onion and tomato buds at home depot last summer. This didn't work well for me, the tomatoes took so long to grow and they stayed green. Could it be a problem moving the plant to a different environment, or into a new pot? Or is it just that these types of pre-grown plants aren't stable?

Reaction score
Have you grown tomatoes before? My experience with toms is that they take forever, whether I buy starts or start them myself. Your growing environment has a lot to do with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by buds since to me that refers to a flower about to bloom. Seedlings purchased from a garden center should grow just fine once you get them home unless they are unhealthy. There is a possibility that they experienced transplant shock after you replanted them. Not sure why the tomatoes would have stayed green. What variety of tomato did you purchase?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what you mean by buds since to me that refers to a flower about to bloom. Seedlings purchased from a garden center should grow just fine once you get them home unless they are unhealthy. There is a possibility that they experienced transplant shock after you replanted them. Not sure why the tomatoes would have stayed green. What variety of tomato did you purchase?

As I said on another thread, you are far less likely to infest your plot with disease if you grow tomatoes from seed you have saved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
As I said on another thread, you are far less likely to infest your plot with disease if you grow tomatoes from seed you have saved.

Not everyone buys tomatoes from an organic or farmer's market. Some supermarket produce is not suitable for regrowing because of the way it has been handled, especially imported foods. Also, not everyone knows how to collect and save seeds for replanting and get them to germinate.

Ask a Question