Is vermiculite safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hear a lot about vermiculite.. However upon looking it up to see the benefits.. I find a lot of information like this:
Screenshot_20200813-174805_Samsung Internet.jpg

Why is it so popular if ao dangerous? Because its so widely recommended, I had a hard time thinking this can't be the same stuff gardeners talk about.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking into that a bit further I found this from the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety.

Is all vermiculite a health concern?
Vermiculite itself has not been shown to be a health problem. However, some vermiculite insulation contained asbestos fibres, which can cause problems if inhaled. As long as this kind of vermiculite-based insulation remains undisturbed behind intact walls or in attic spaces and does not become airborne, it should not be a concern.
Of concern is Zonolite® Attic Insulation; this insulation was sold in Canada under the name of Zonolite® and was extracted from the Libby Mine in Montana, USA. This mine had a natural deposit of asbestos which resulted in the vermiculite being contaminated with asbestos.
Vermiculite produced by the Libby Mine has not been on the market in Canada for more than 10 years. Not all vermiculite sold in Canada before 1990 contains asbestos fibres. However, if you believe that your home may contain vermiculite insulation, it is reasonable to assume that it may be contaminated with asbestos.

So it seems to be quite limited.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it seems to say it is reasonable to assume contamination. The first article on google says most of it is.. It jusr seems best to avoid but I'm curious why everyone else is totally OK with it.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wear a mask if concerned. Once damp the dust shouldn't be a problem.
If still concerned then try perlite instead.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It kinda ends in saying the vermiculite products are being screened with better technology to find better suitability but doesn't say all products on the worldwide market shelf is asbestos free.

I would probably avoid it for now lol

Ask a Question