Is this rust on my fig bush?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is on my fig bushes and they are still producing figs. Is it rust and, if so, is there something I can do to avoid it next season? We have had a ton of rain this spring and summer, so, I'm wondering if it's a kind of mold?
DSCF0041.JPG
DSCF0044.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It probably is rust. It is some type of fungal problem and is caused by all the excessive rain the south has had this year. These damaged leaves appear to be older leaves and it is getting late in the season. All of the leaves will soon fall off anyway. Just keep them raked up and disposed of. It will be of limited help to spray a fungicide now but Neem works pretty good on rust. In any case, this fungus will not affect the fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, that's very helpful. I am thinking I'd apply Neem in the Spring?
Yes, right before bud break. Also, I would spray the entire tree after all the leaves have fallen and after the first frost. This will help eliminate any insects which might overwinter in the bark.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know we had an usual amount of rain. Did I contribute to the problem by overwatering?
Your fig shows signs of overwatering, either by too much rain or by overwatering as evidenced by the completely brown leaf tips. Figs normally like a little more than the usual amount of water, about 2" per week out to the drip line. They also need good drainage as they also do not like wet feet. I think it was probably just too much rain.

Ask a Question